Debate on the Equality of 0.999... and 1: An Analysis of Hurkyl's Response

• Thread starter ram1024
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a disagreement between two individuals, with one being accused of locking a thread to avoid arguments and the other being advised to think before posting. The accused individual justifies their actions by stating that the other's argument is not supported by evidence. The conversation ends with a moderator stepping in and warning against further disruptive behavior.
ram1024
Good work locking another thread when you don't want to hear any arguments that might offend your delicate sensibilities.

I'm sure that Hurkyl doesn't need to ask you any questions. What you are supposed to do is think about it, and try to learn something.

i thought about it. it shed no new light on the current topic at hand, what did you want me to do. tell him "thanks but that's worthless"

He did. He stated that the equation 0.999...=1 is a consequence of how equality is defined for real numbers. The conclusion couldn't be any easier to spot.

BS he doesn't say that anywhere. .999 = f(n) = 0 for n >= 0 and
f(n) = 9 for n < 0. 1 = f(n) = 0 for n > 1 and f(1) = 1 and f(n) = 0 for n < 1.

those functions are NOT the same. so if he SOMEHOW came to that conclusion that they ARE from THAT then he is blind

No, he's locking your asinine thread because it is a waste of bandwidth.

no he locked my thread because he needs some time to grow up, as do you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good bye, ram1024. You're now only welcome to post to the theory development subforum here, which is where your ideas belong. Vehemently believing in something doesn't make it true.

- Warren

ram1024 said:
Good work locking another thread when you don't want to hear any arguments that might offend your delicate sensibilities.

Calling Hurkyl a "stooge" repeatedly doesn't constitute argumentation.

i thought about it. it shed no new light on the current topic at hand, what did you want me to do. tell him "thanks but that's worthless"

Think about it some more.

BS he doesn't say that anywhere.

Oh, for Pete's sake, he said it in the very post you linked to.

That makes it clear: You can't read.

.999 = f(n) = 0 for n >= 0 and
f(n) = 9 for n < 0. 1 = f(n) = 0 for n > 1 and f(1) = 1 and f(n) = 0 for n < 1.

those functions are NOT the same. so if he SOMEHOW came to that conclusion that they ARE from THAT then he is blind

There's no "somehow". He stated perfectly clearly that it is a matter of how equality is defined for real numbers.

no he locked my thread because he needs some time to grow up, as do you.

:rolleyes:

Look, I don't have time for your little temper tantrums. When I locked your last thread, it was not a cue for you to start another one just like it. If you have something to say to me personally, use the Private Messaging system.

Any future threads you start for the sole purpose of ranting at the staff will not be locked, but deleted.

Stop it now.

Last edited:

1. What is the debate about the equality of 0.999... and 1?

The debate centers around whether the repeating decimal 0.999... is equal to the whole number 1. Some argue that since 0.999... has an infinite number of 9s, it is not quite equal to 1.

2. Who is Hurkyl and what is their response to this debate?

Hurkyl is a mathematician who has provided a response to this debate. They argue that 0.999... and 1 are indeed equal because the concept of a repeating decimal is simply a convenient way to represent a number and does not change its value.

3. What evidence supports the equality of 0.999... and 1?

One piece of evidence is the fact that 0.999... is an infinite decimal, meaning it has no end. This means that there is no other number between 0.999... and 1 that could make them unequal.

4. How does this debate relate to the concept of infinity?

The debate highlights the complexities of infinity and how it can be difficult to fully grasp and understand. The concept of infinity is often used in mathematical and philosophical debates, such as this one.

5. What implications does the equality of 0.999... and 1 have in mathematics and beyond?

The debate has implications for the understanding and application of mathematical concepts and principles. It also raises questions about the nature of numbers and how they are represented and perceived. Additionally, it has sparked philosophical discussions about the nature of reality and the concept of infinity.