1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ramp problem

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i have an air track glider on a track that is tilted. the distance between the initial position and the photogate that measures the time it takes for the glider to pass the photogate in 0.001s is .5m I need to find the angle theta that will give me 25m/s (the max measurable velocity) at the photogate. in case it helps, the flag width is .025m.

2. Relevant equations
    v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax
    a=gsin(theta)

my problem is you cannot arcsin a number greater than 1. because the glider is at rest then i let it go, i need to find the angle that will get the glider to travel at 25 m/s by the time it gets to the photogate. however, this doesnt seem possible because if it were in free fall.. to fall at 25m/s, it would need 31.887m to travel, which we do not have on this track.

however it should be possible or maybe i am missing something, because the next question asks, if the angle exceeds this critical angle, the calculations provide an inaccurate value of g and i need to know why. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted