What is the Mysterious Text in the Reply Box on PF?

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary, the user noticed strange text in the reply box, and did a malware and virus scan. They found nothing, but noted that the computer had been recently power cycled.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I was reading PF (without being logged in). I noticed strange text in the reply box. I didnt type any of this in:

printscreen.jpg

scrolling down there's a lot in there.

printscreen_scrolled.jpg

Attachments

• printscreen.jpg
    printscreen.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 622
  • printscreen_scrolled.jpg
    printscreen_scrolled.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
It looks like a Windows Clipboard attack:
Or it might not be so nefarious. If you (@gmax137) quoted some text somewhere, but never did anything with it, the quoted text will still be around in the Reply window. The same is true if you reply to a post, but don't add anything to what is quoted.

Mark44 said:
Or it might not be so nefarious. If you (@gmax137) quoted some text somewhere, but never did anything with it, the quoted text will still be around in the Reply window. The same is true if you reply to a post, but don't add anything to what is quoted.
Yeah, this has actually saved me several times when I was writing a reply, and accidentally closed out my browser. I was able to re-start the browser, go back to the thread, and find my text still in the Reply window. It's a feature!

(Except as a Mentor, I have to be careful about not cross-pollinating my replies and warnings...) :rolleyes:

Well, if you look at the text in the images I showed in the OP you can see it is gibberish, not something I had already in my clipboard.

The computer is my employer's and it has pretty good malware / virus scanning; nothing shows there.

Thanks for your input, everyone! I will be watching to see if anything weird happens.

I did start a few replies in the past couple of days, and then closed the browser without Posting the reply. Part of my new "think twice before speaking" policy :).

That happened to me last week on this site. Only the once (but I haven't been very active) : a different thread, and the gibberish was maybe 10-12 lines - definitely not something I wrote or copied from other text. I commonly leave my browser open for days/weeks, and tabs of anything I'm interested in.

Windows Defender quick scan found nothing (but the machine had been power cycled by then). I'll leave this tab open for a week or so to see if it attracts flies, but worry-about-it level is zero.

hmmm27 said:
That happened to me last week on this site.
Happened to me just now... I wasn't logged in. . o0)

Screen shot.

upload_2019-1-15_4-20-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-15_4-20-54.png
    upload_2019-1-15_4-20-54.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
It's gone now...

Screen shot.

upload_2019-1-15_4-38-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-15_4-38-17.png
    upload_2019-1-15_4-38-17.png
    14 KB · Views: 324
Thanks Greg!

Related to What is the Mysterious Text in the Reply Box on PF?

1. What is random text in the reply box?

Random text in the reply box is a placeholder text that is automatically generated to fill in empty spaces. It is commonly used in design and development to give an idea of how the text will look in a specific layout or design.

2. Why is random text used in the reply box?

Random text is used in the reply box to simulate real content and provide a visual representation of how the text will appear in a specific design or layout. It helps designers and developers to focus on the design and layout without getting distracted by the actual content.

3. Can random text be customized in the reply box?

Yes, random text can be customized in the reply box. There are various tools and generators available that allow you to choose the length, type, and language of the random text. This can be helpful when designing for different languages or specific content lengths.

4. How can I generate random text in the reply box?

You can generate random text in the reply box by using online tools or built-in features in design software. Some popular tools include Lorem Ipsum Generator, Random Text Generator, and Mockaroo. Design software like Adobe InDesign and Sketch also have built-in features for generating random text.

5. Is random text in the reply box useful for testing?

Yes, random text in the reply box can be useful for testing. It allows designers and developers to test the layout and design with different lengths and types of content. This can help identify any potential issues or inconsistencies in the design before using real content.