What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,311
Why does a Canadian singer (Simon Ward, The Strumbellas) have a US flag on the belt of his guitar?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,312
fresh_42 said:
Why not. For a lame joke it is too long, and as @WWGD and me are regular participants here, it somehow fits. Could well play in NYC :smile:.
But if you think it's not appropriate I don't have to. It was just a random thought I had. From time to time it pops up in my mind.

I'll start with the first entry, so you can get an idea whether it's worth typing.

The Wallmart Conspiracy.
3/26. Wallmart is getting weird. As I was shopping this morning, I heard this message for the first time: "42, please 7". What does that mean? I quickly put down the dog brush, which I intended to buy for my retriever and left the store. Cameras everywhere.

3/27. Same thing in the food department: "20, please 20!". Strange: Immediately after the message, the woman at the butcher's counter accepted the customer complaint about the sausage without any objection. A coincidence?

<to be continued? (a dozen days)>
That's really weird. Maybe we should all start noticing and writing them down and come up with a list of the codes!

• #2,313
Evo said:
That's really weird. Maybe we should all start noticing and writing them down and come up with a list of the codes!
The story goes on a while and the consequences are accumulating. It's basically like watching someone developing a paranoia.

I once had a friend whose favorite comment on any disasters has been: "At no time there has been any danger to the public and the situation is under control!" regardless what just had happened. Only to spoof the usual press conferences.

• #2,314
The radio astronony department at Cambridge had little boxes at all the corridor junctions. Pressing the button on one would sound a beep over speakers all through the building. Each box had a list of staff and Morse code call signs. If you went to someone's office and they weren't there, you went to a box and tapped out their call sign. If they were free, they'd amble back to the office.

As I recall there was also a call sign for "departmental tea break", to be tapped out by someone at about 10am. Then everyone would head over to the meeting room for a catch-up. Off-the-wall, practical and civilised. That was Cambridge Natural Sciences in a nutshell.

Likes Borek
  • #2,315
fresh_42 said:
Why does a Canadian singer (Simon Ward, The Strumbellas) have a US flag on the belt of his guitar?
Politeness would be my best guess. Or maybe he, like many people ( incl. Canadians, apparently) , believe
Canada is the U.S' 51st state.

• #2,316
fresh_42 said:
Why not. For a lame joke it is too long, and as @WWGD and me are regular participants here, it somehow fits. Could well play in NYC :smile:.
But if you think it's not appropriate I don't have to. It was just a random thought I had. From time to time it pops up in my mind.

I'll start with the first entry, so you can get an idea whether it's worth typing.

The Wallmart Conspiracy.
3/26. Wallmart is getting weird. As I was shopping this morning, I heard this message for the first time: "42, please 7". What does that mean? I quickly put down the dog brush, which I intended to buy for my retriever and left the store. Cameras everywhere.

3/27. Same thing in the food department: "20, please 20!". Strange: Immediately after the message, the woman at the butcher's counter accepted the customer complaint about the sausage without any objection. A coincidence?

<to be continued? (a dozen days)>

I heard ( only, of course ;) ) they have those codes at mental hospitals, so a 24 and 7 maybe code for , e.g., someone is out of his meds, call for back up and open up the blue room and restraints.

Last edited:
  • #2,317
WWGD said:
many people ( incl. Canadians, apparently) , believe
Whoo-eee - to the Quebecois i knew, ' them's fightin words.'

Being from the South though i got a lot of mileage out of "Bonjour y'all, eh ?"

Likes WWGD
  • #2,318
jim hardy said:
Whoo-eee - to the Quebecois i knew, ' them's fightin words.'

Being from the South though i got a lot of mileage out of "Bonjour y'all, eh ?"
Yea, I always reply, when they tell me they're Canadian: " I 've always wanted to visit our 51st State". I know they appreciate me the more for it. (Nasal) You know? ( Isn't the nasal " You Know?" the Yankee equivalent to the y'all ?)

• #2,319
WWGD said:
Politeness would be my best guess. Or maybe he, like many people ( incl. Canadians, apparently) , believe
52nd. Especially you should know what the 51th is :biggrin:.

But it gives the favorite quotation of a friend of mine (grown up in NM) a completely new meaning:
"Canadians are the better Americans."

• #2,320
fresh_42 said:
52nd. Especially you should know what the 51th is :biggrin:.

Long Island? NYC? I know some in LI want to secede, same for Staten Island.

• #2,321
I meant PR - they already have a 2-letter code ... Haven't they had a poll recently about it?

• #2,322
fresh_42 said:
I meant PR - they already have a 2-letter code ... Haven't they had a poll recently about it?
Not sure, but I don't think it is such a good idea, they are broke at the moment. I doubt they are economically viable as an independent state at the moment.

• #2,323
fresh_42 said:
In bigger malls here, there are sometimes announcements to be heard over the speakers to call someone to the phone or to call service personal to give additional support at crowded stations and things like that. They usually communicate by codes like "42, please 7." Is it only here?
"Betty, please... Please pick up, Betty, please."

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,324
I guess their major debts are in the US anyway, not sure about it, but it'd make me wonder if not, so it's within the family and not much of a difference to now.

• #2,325
fresh_42 said:
I guess their major debts are in the US anyway, not sure about it, but it'd make me wonder if not, so it's within the family and not much of a difference to now.
Yes, they are dependent on outlays by the Federal government, and, given they are part of the U.S, they likely get better treatment than foreign equivalents would get. BTW, strangely, AFAIK, NYC itself is also broke; simultaneously the epitome of capitalism and broke from providing welfare services they cannot afford.

• #2,326
Still, I wonder how it was arrived at that July 4 is the day of Independence in the U.S; independence was _declared_ but not accomplished on the 4th. If I decide/declare today I will be rich at some point, I would not celebrate today as the day I _became_ rich.

• #2,327
WWGD said:
Still, I wonder how it was arrived at that July 4 is the day of Independence in the U.S; independence was _declared_ but not accomplished on the 4th. If I decide/declare today I will be rich at some point, I would not celebrate today as the day I _became_ rich.
Believe me, the situation here with the national holiday is far worse. They changed it from a nice day in late spring to a rainy day in autumn, have chosen the "wrong" day to replace it, since the "correct" day had been impossible to chose.

• #2,328
fresh_42 said:
Believe me, the situation here with the national holiday is far worse. They changed it from a nice day in late spring to a rainy day in autumn, have chosen the "wrong" day to replace it, since the "correct" day had been impossible to chose.
But you have many, I guess, from 1871 and from 1990 with reunification, so I guess it is kind of confusing, especially since PMoscow was not the capital of PRussia (as Michelle PFeiffer said) , I can see why you are confused.

• #2,329
What's confusing is the actual day, where some document has been signed and nobody remembers. The better day would have been 11/9 for several reasons, but at the same time also the day of a pogrom, which makes it impossible to celebrate.

• #2,330
WWGD said:
The declaration is enough. Sure, Great Britain might have disagreed with the sentiment, but the U.S. wasn't exactly waiting around for their permission.

• #2,331
collinsmark said:
The declaration is enough. Sure, Great Britain might have disagreed with the sentiment, but the U.S. wasn't exactly waiting around for their permission.
At least they haven't chosen Dec.16th. :wink:

• #2,332
WWGD said:
It was voted on July 2 but signed on July 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Declaration_of_Independence
I recall hearing that signing the document was considered a big deal since the Brits would have killed anyone who signed it. But they would probably have killed any rebellious people anyway, signers or not.
John Adams thought July 2 was the big day.
The signed copy was used a lot in publicity afterwards, which may be the reason that the 4th is celebrated.

WWGD said:
Long Island? NYC? I know some in LI want to secede, same for Staten Island.
Some people in Northern California and Southern Oregon also talk of forming a new state (the state of Jefferson) because they feel their views are not well represented at the state level. These are areas of mountains, trees, and rivers. Probably won't happen.

Some people in the western part of Lane county, within Oregon, where I live want to succeed from the county and form a new county (this has actually happened a few times in Oregon). This is more probable, but still unlikely.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,333
BillTre said:
It was voted on July 2 but signed on July 4.
I recall hearing that signing the document was considered a big deal since the Brits would have killed anyone who signed it. But they would probably have killed any rebellious people anyway, signers or not.
John Adams thought July 2 was the big day.
The signed copy was used a lot in publicity afterwards, which may be the reason that the 4th is celebrated.Some people in Northern California and Southern Oregon also talk of forming a new state (the state of Jefferson) because they feel their views are not well represented at the state level. These are areas of mountains, trees, and rivers. Probably won't happen.

Some people in the western part of Lane county, within Oregon, where I live want to succeed from the county and form a new county (this has actually happened a few times in Oregon). This is more probable, but still unlikely.
The only reply Staten Island got when they declared their wish to secede was: "You're part of the City"? ( It is suburb-like, low-density compared to the rest of the city).

• #2,334
Isn't a self-serve meal a meal that serves itself ?

• #2,335
WWGD said:
Isn't a self-serve meal a meal that serves itself ?
You can find a recipe here.

• #2,336
Do you mean self-serving as in 'politician'?

• #2,337
fresh_42 said:

It's a farce they conduct every several years and hardly anybody turns out to vote. Most are not in favor. (My wife's mother was a huge part of the independista movement).

• #2,338
Untitled-1.jpg

Likes jim hardy, Borg and Ibix
  • #2,339
The sound my microwave makes to signal it's ready is exactly the same tune with which Sloop John B. (BB version) starts. It is so frustrating, that it stops there and I'm always tempted to tune in.

Likes OCR
  • #2,340
Kind of funny scene at the breakfast/bagel place this morning: This lady across from my seat accidentally spilled her iced coffee , and some of it fell on my pants. She proceeds to pick up some napkins, get on her knees and start cleaning my pants with the napkins. She was also somewhat-close to my crotch, giving the appearance of doing something else while there. Yes!...yes!... ;).

• #2,341
dkotschessaa said:
It's a farce they conduct every several years and hardly anybody turns out to vote. Most are not in favor. (My wife's mother was a huge part of the independista movement).
What if they conducted a poll and nobody came? I guess.

• #2,342
Phew! I thought they were going to change the number system, when I read a flyer in the streets : " What do you Tell your kid When there is no More Thirteen"? It would have brought about chaos. It turns out it is just public television, channel 13, which some are considering defunding ( and, strangely, some are defending against the defunding?!).

Last edited:
  • #2,343
This guy walks into the coffee shop wearing a mini-skirt ( no kidding). Wanted to tell him: If you drop _Anything_ I will pic it up for you. Seriously!

• #2,344
I keep trying to focus, but the triple bacon sandwich keeps calling my name...

• #2,345
WWGD said:
I keep trying to focus, but the triple bacon sandwich keeps calling my name...
asterix-and-obleix.jpg