Random Variables - Distribution and Expectations

In summary, the homework question is about Mr and Mrs Brown's decision to have children until they have their first boy or five children. The sample space and probabilities are given, and the distributions for the random variables B and G are calculated. The expectations of B and G are both found to be 31/32.
topgun08
Here is the homework question. I only have an issue with part c but have shown all my work up until then. Any help is appreciated!

Mr and Mrs Brown decide to continue having children until they either have their first boy or until they have
five children. Assume that each child is equally likely to be a boy or a girl, independent of all other children,
and that there are no multiple births. Let B and G denote the numbers of boys and girls respectively that the
Browns have.
(a) Write down the sample space together with the probability of each sample point.
Sample Space with probability = {B 1/2, GB 1/4, GGB 1/8, GGGB, 1/16, GGGGB 1/32, GGGGG 1/32}
(b) Write down the distributions of the random variables B and G.
Pr[B=0] = 1/32, Pr[B=1] = 31/32
Pr[G=0] = 1/2, Pr[G=1] = 1/4, Pr[G=2] = 1/8, Pr[G=3] = 1/16, Pr[G=4] = 1/32, Pr[G=5] = 1/32,

(c) Compute the expectations of B and G using a direct calculation
E(B) = 31/32

Is this below part correct. For some reason I don't think it could be correct.
E(G) = 31/32?

Physics news on Phys.org
topgun08 said:
Here is the homework question. I only have an issue with part c but have shown all my work up until then. Any help is appreciated!

Mr and Mrs Brown decide to continue having children until they either have their first boy or until they have
five children. Assume that each child is equally likely to be a boy or a girl, independent of all other children,
and that there are no multiple births. Let B and G denote the numbers of boys and girls respectively that the
Browns have.
(a) Write down the sample space together with the probability of each sample point.
Sample Space with probability = {B 1/2, GB 1/4, GGB 1/8, GGGB, 1/16, GGGGB 1/32, GGGGG 1/32}
(b) Write down the distributions of the random variables B and G.
Pr[B=0] = 1/32, Pr[B=1] = 31/32
Pr[G=0] = 1/2, Pr[G=1] = 1/4, Pr[G=2] = 1/8, Pr[G=3] = 1/16, Pr[G=4] = 1/32, Pr[G=5] = 1/32,

(c) Compute the expectations of B and G using a direct calculation
E(B) = 31/32

Is this below part correct. For some reason I don't think it could be correct.
E(G) = 31/32?

Hey topgun08 and welcome to the forums.

Assuming your distribution for G is correct in part b, your answer is also correct. I used the calculation:

E[G] = 0x1/2 + 1x1/4 + 2x1/8 + 3x1/16 + 4x1/32 + 5x1/32 = 0.96875 = 31/32

What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical value that is determined by chance. It is usually denoted by the letter 'X' and can represent any type of event or outcome in a probability experiment.

What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes for a random variable. It assigns probabilities to all possible values of the random variable, and the sum of all probabilities is equal to 1.

What is the difference between discrete and continuous random variables?

Discrete random variables have a finite or countable number of possible values, while continuous random variables can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of heads in 10 coin tosses is a discrete random variable, while the height of a person is a continuous random variable.

What is the expected value of a random variable?

The expected value is the average value of a random variable over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the random variable by its probability and summing all of these products.

How do you calculate the variance and standard deviation of a random variable?

The variance of a random variable is a measure of how much the values of the random variable differ from the expected value. It is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each value and the expected value, multiplied by its probability. The standard deviation is the square root of the variance.