Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Walks

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    Hey there. Right now, I am doing a project for my grade 12 Geometry and Discrete class on any topic of our choosing. I have chosen the subject of RANDOM WALKS, and I am looking for any information on this subject at all, as I seemed to have hit a plateau of information, where all of my new information just seems to be repeating other resourses. The point of the project is to write a paper on the subject, and its uses. I am really open to any help or assistance on the topic at all, anything will be of help. Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about exploring the fact that in either 1- or 2-D random walks you are always guaranteed to eventually return to your starting point whereas it is not certain in 3-D?

4. May 1, 2006 #3
    That is actually quite a good idea, i never thought of that yet. That could be a good approach, i was also thinking of incorporating the stock market and how that relates too, but i'm not sure if that is pulling too far away from the topic or not.

5. May 2, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Explaining exactly what is meant by "..guaranteed to eventually return to your starting point.." would be a worthy related topic. If you like number theory, you might compare Merten's function with random walks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?