Exploring Random Walks: A Grade 12 Project

In summary, the speakers are discussing a project on random walks for a Grade 12 Geometry and Discrete class. The project requires a paper on the subject and its uses. The speaker is looking for any information on this topic, including help and assistance. Suggestions for the project include exploring the fact that in 1- or 2-D random walks, one is guaranteed to return to the starting point while this is not certain in 3-D, and incorporating the stock market and number theory into the project.
robyn
Hey there. Right now, I am doing a project for my grade 12 Geometry and Discrete class on any topic of our choosing. I have chosen the subject of RANDOM WALKS, and I am looking for any information on this subject at all, as I seemed to have hit a plateau of information, where all of my new information just seems to be repeating other resourses. The point of the project is to write a paper on the subject, and its uses. I am really open to any help or assistance on the topic at all, anything will be of help. Thanks! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about exploring the fact that in either 1- or 2-D random walks you are always guaranteed to eventually return to your starting point whereas it is not certain in 3-D?

That is actually quite a good idea, i never thought of that yet. That could be a good approach, i was also thinking of incorporating the stock market and how that relates too, but I'm not sure if that is pulling too far away from the topic or not.

Explaining exactly what is meant by "..guaranteed to eventually return to your starting point.." would be a worthy related topic. If you like number theory, you might compare Merten's function with random walks.

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes a path or trajectory taken by a particle or object moving in a random or unpredictable manner. It is characterized by a series of steps or movements that are determined by probability and can be applied to various fields such as physics, biology, and finance.

2. How do you conduct a random walk experiment?

To conduct a random walk experiment, you will need to define the starting point, set a rule for determining the direction of each step, and determine the number of steps to take. You can use a physical model, such as a coin toss or a dice roll, or create a simulation using a computer program.

3. What is the significance of random walks in science?

Random walks have various applications in science, including modeling the movement of particles in a gas, predicting stock market trends, and studying the behavior of animals. They also provide a way to analyze complex systems that are affected by randomness and uncertainty.

4. How does a random walk differ from a regular walk?

A regular walk involves moving in a specific direction or following a predetermined path, while a random walk involves taking steps in a random or unpredictable manner. In a random walk, the direction and distance of each step are determined by probability rather than a specific rule or pattern.

5. What are some examples of real-life random walks?

Some examples of real-life random walks include the movement of molecules in a gas, the path taken by a foraging animal, the fluctuations in stock prices, and the spread of diseases in a population. Random walks are also used in computer graphics and simulations to create realistic and natural-looking movements.