Rank and Weight of a Riemann Curvature Tensor

In summary, the rank of a tensor is determined by the number of distinct indices it has, while the weight is determined by the power of \sqrt{-\det g_{ij}} present in the tensor. The Ricci tensor, which is a second-rank tensor, is not always zero for diagonal metric tensors.
Jack3145
Given a Riemann Curvature Tensor. How do you know the weight and rank of each:

[tex]R^{i}_{jki}[/tex]
[tex]R^{i}_{jik}[/tex]
[tex]R^{i}_{ijk}[/tex]

Is the Ricci tensor always a zero tensor for diagonal metric tensors?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rank of a tensor can be thought of as the number of distinct indices that the tensor has. Thus [itex]R^i_{jkl}[/itex] is a fourth-rank tensor, while the Ricci tensor [itex]R^k_{ikj}=R_{ij}[/itex] is a second-rank tensor. On the other hand, the Ricci scalar [itex]R=R^i_i[/itex] is a scalar quantity and hence a zero-rank tensor.

The weight of a tensor is defined to be the power of [itex]\sqrt{-\det g_{ij}}[/itex] that appear in the tensor.

What tells the weight?

[tex]g_{ab}=(1,0,0,0;0,r^{2},0,0;0,0,r^{2}*(sin(\theta))^{2},0;0,0,0,-c^{2}*t^{2})[/tex]
[tex](-det(g_{ab}))^{1/2} = r^{2}*sin(\theta)*c*t[/tex]

Last edited:
Is the Ricci tensor always a zero tensor for diagonal metric tensors?
No. In fact, it's rarely zero. For instance if you replace 1-2m/r in the Schwarzschild metric with s-2m/r where s is a constant ne to 1, the Ricci tensor gets 2 components.

Related to Rank and Weight of a Riemann Curvature Tensor

1. What is the rank of a Tensor?

The rank of a Tensor refers to the number of dimensions it has. For example, a 3-dimensional array would have a rank of 3.

2. How is the rank of a Tensor determined?

The rank of a Tensor is determined by counting the number of indices needed to access an element in the Tensor. For example, a 3-dimensional array would require 3 indices to access a specific element, therefore it has a rank of 3.

3. What is the weight of a Tensor?

The weight of a Tensor refers to the number of elements it contains. It is also known as the size or dimensionality of the Tensor.

4. How is the weight of a Tensor calculated?

The weight of a Tensor is calculated by multiplying the sizes of each dimension together. For example, a 3x4x5 Tensor would have a weight of 60 (3x4x5 = 60).

5. How is the rank and weight of a Tensor related?

The rank and weight of a Tensor are related in that the rank determines the number of dimensions of a Tensor, while the weight determines the number of elements in each dimension. In other words, the rank and weight work together to describe the shape and size of a Tensor.