1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank proof

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a linear operator T, show that if rank(T^2)=rank(T), then the range and null space are disjoint.

So I know that I can form a the same basis for range(T^2) and range(T), but I'm not sure where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I recommend you go back and reread the problem. The range and nullspace of any linear operator are subspaces- they both include the 0 vector and so are never disjoint. Perhaps the problem is to show that the only vector in both the range and null space is the 0 vector?

If so try a proof by contradiction. Let v be a non-zero vector in both range and null space of T. Since v is in the range of T there exist u such that v= Tu. Now, what is T2u?

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    You're right, I meant disjoint other than 0. I get that T2u=Tv=0, but what does that say about the rank?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook