Rate of displacement of individual gas molecule help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes for an individual gas molecule to travel one meter from its original location. The concept of random walks and diffusion is suggested as a way to approximate this calculation. The original questioner is satisfied with a general approximation rather than a precise value.
Buzzworks
Has anyone made a calculation for example, how much (or the mean) time it takes for an individual gas molecule to be displaced a distance of one meter (measured straight) from its original location?

For example, air molecule at ambient pressure with a mean free path of 68 nm. That would be an incredible amount of collisions before it reaches 1 meter from its initial location.

I can't find any such info in google and I'm not in the field of chemistry.

Could anyone give me a mean figure, appreciate it!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Read up on random walks and diffusion. These topics should give you some idea of how to make that calculation.

Thank you, well, I don't actually need a 'precise' value of the mean.

If you're saying that diffusion gives a good approximation of the speed, then that is good enough for me.

1. What is the rate of displacement of an individual gas molecule?

The rate of displacement of an individual gas molecule refers to the speed at which a single gas molecule moves from one location to another within a given space.

2. What factors affect the rate of displacement of gas molecules?

The rate of displacement of gas molecules is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the size and mass of the gas molecule itself.

3. How is the rate of displacement of gas molecules measured?

The rate of displacement of gas molecules can be measured using various techniques such as diffusion experiments, gas chromatography, and spectrometry.

4. Why is the rate of displacement of gas molecules important?

The rate of displacement of gas molecules is important because it plays a crucial role in various processes such as gas diffusion, chemical reactions, and gas transport in the atmosphere and in living organisms.

5. Can the rate of displacement of gas molecules be altered?

Yes, the rate of displacement of gas molecules can be altered by changing the environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure, as well as by using catalysts to speed up chemical reactions involving gas molecules.