Rate of increase of a radius and height of a cone

In summary, when powder or granular solids are piled up, they form a conical pile with an edge that reaches a certain maximum angle with the horizontal, known as the angle of repose. For a pile of coal with an angle of repose of 38%, the relationship between the height and radius of the pile can be found using the equation h=r*Tan a. If a conveyor belt pours coal onto the pile at a rate of 0.3m^3/min, the rate at which the radius increases when the radius is 1.7m can be determined by deriving the equation and using the formula for the volume of a cone. It is also possible to relate the rates by finding the volume of a cone in
brandy

Homework Statement

when powder or granular solids are piled up. the powder forms a conical pile. the edge of the pile reaches a certain maximum angle with the horizontal, called the angle or repose.

A) a pile of coal is found to have an angle of repose of 38%
what is the relationship between height of the pile and its radius.

i got that bit: h=r*Tan a
h= height, r=radius a= Angle of repose

B)if a conveyor belt pours the coal onto the pile at a rate of 0.3m^3/min, at what rate is the radius increasing when the radius is 1.7m

i think i might have to derive the equaiton but i really don't know. i think i need the formula for the area of cone but i don't know. if i did i wouldn't be posting here!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi brandy

you are given a volumetric rate of change (dV/dt) and want to know the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt).

Can you write the volume of a cone in terms of its radius? You will probably have to use your results form a) to write the height in terms of the radius as well.

Then you can look at differentiating to relate the rates

A cone has a third of the volume of a cylinder with the same height and base. Can you find the volume of the cone with that?

1. What is the formula for finding the rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone?

The formula for finding the rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone is given by dV/dt = πr(dr/dt) + (1/3)πr²(dh/dt), where dV/dt represents the rate of change of volume of the cone, r is the radius, and h is the height.

2. How do changes in the radius and height of a cone affect its volume?

The volume of a cone is directly proportional to the square of its radius and height. This means that any increase in the radius or height will result in a greater increase in the volume of the cone. Similarly, any decrease in the radius or height will result in a greater decrease in the volume of the cone.

3. What is the relationship between the rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone?

The rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone are directly related. This means that as one increases, the other also increases. This is because changes in the radius and height both affect the volume of the cone, and the rate of change of volume is dependent on the rate of change of both the radius and height.

4. How does the shape of a cone affect its rate of increase of radius and height?

The shape of a cone does not have a direct effect on its rate of increase of radius and height. However, a cone with a larger base (larger radius) will have a greater rate of increase of radius and height compared to a cone with a smaller base (smaller radius).

5. Can the rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone be negative?

Yes, the rate of increase of the radius and height of a cone can be negative. This would mean that the radius and/or height is decreasing over time, resulting in a decrease in the volume of the cone. This could occur if the cone is being cut or eroded, causing a decrease in its dimensions.