Calculating the Rate of Water Level Increase in a Trapezoid-Shaped Trough

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate at which the water level is rising in a 6 m long water trough with an isosceles trapezoid cross-section, when the water is being pumped in at a rate of 0.5 m^3/min. The volume of the trough is calculated using the formula V = 1/2h(a + b)l, where a, b, and l are constants. However, differentiating with respect to time yields 0 because h is a constant. The conversation then explores the relationship between h and w, the width of the surface, and concludes that the width can be related to the height using similar triangles. Finally, it is determined that w = 1
cscott
A water trough is 6 m long and has a cross-section in the shape of an isosceles trapezoid (dimension shown in the diagram.) Water is being pumped into the trough at a rate of 0.5 m^3/min. How fast is the water level rising when it is 0.5 m deep.

AFAIK the volume of a trapazoid like this should be

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}h(a + b)l[/tex]

where a, b, and l are all given constants, therefore

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{dh}{dt}(a + b)l[/tex]

But this can't be right. I don't think I'm approaching this correctly...

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you personally think you're doing wrong? you should be very careful to note that V = 1/2h(a+b)l makes no distinction as to what is actually a function of t, although you try to differentiate with respect to t the height later. Yes that's the volume of a filled container, but differentiating h with respect to t would yield 0 because it is a constant. Perhaps construct the volume of a trapezoid whose height is dependent on time t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would I have to express all the other variables in terms of h?:bugeye:

Last edited:
No, no. Just think about the shape of a volume that was being filled up by water and what dimensions are variable with time. Certainly the height filled with water will be variable with time, but what about the width of the surface? Obvioously the base of the trough will not change though.

I'm assuming I can relate the width to height using (1/4)w/h = 0.6/0.9 (i.e. similar triangles)?

Last edited:
Test it out :). I suggest using extreme cases such as where h = 0 what is w? (better equal the width of the base)

Well mine isn't going to work because at h = 0, w = 0.

Trying w = 1.2/0.9h + 0.6 ...

Woot, I got it. Thanks for your help/patience!

1. How do you calculate the rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough?

The rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough can be calculated by dividing the change in water level (in inches) by the change in time (in seconds). This will give you the rate of water level increase in inches per second.

2. What is the formula for calculating the water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough?

The formula for calculating the water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough is: (base1 + base2) x height x change in time = change in water level. This formula takes into account the varying widths of the trapezoid-shaped trough as well as the change in time.

3. How do you measure the water level in a trapezoid-shaped trough?

The water level in a trapezoid-shaped trough can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place the measuring tool at one end of the trough and measure the distance to the water level. Be sure to use the same unit of measurement (inches, centimeters, etc.) for both the change in water level and the change in time.

4. Can the rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough vary over time?

Yes, the rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough can vary over time. This can be caused by factors such as the inflow of water, evaporation, and changes in the slope of the trough. It is important to take multiple measurements over time to accurately calculate the average rate of water level increase.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method for calculating the rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough?

There are some limitations to using this method for calculating the rate of water level increase in a trapezoid-shaped trough. This method assumes that the width of the trough remains constant and that the water level is evenly distributed throughout the trough. In reality, these conditions may not always be met, so it is important to take multiple measurements and consider possible sources of error.