1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of Forces by from Tennis Serve?

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    During a tennis volley, a ball that arrives at a player at 40 m/s is struck by the racquet and returned at 40 m/s. The other player, realizing that the ball is out of bounds, catches it in her hand.

Assuming the time interval of contact is the same in both cases, compare the magnitude of the force exerted by the first player's racquet on the ball with the magnitude of the force exerted by the second player's hand on the ball.

FballOnRaqcuet/FballOnHand = ?

2. Relevant equations
    Aren't these two values just equal? Does it not take the same amount of force to (from the hand) to stop the ball ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said it was either 1 or -1 since the direction of the ball changed. Both of these are obviously wrong but I guess I don't really understand the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ztak,

Is there anything in your notes on this subject that relates to the situation described ?
    In particular a relationship between force and speed (c.q. change in speed -- or momentum) ?

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Does the racket stop the ball?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted