Ratio of masses of merry-go-round and the boy

• Thread starter dorian_stokes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the boy of mass mboy walks along the edge of a merry-go-round of radius R = 3.4 m and mass mmgr, causing it to rotate through an angle of 50° after a distance of 25 m. Using the equation I_B*W_B=I_M*W_M, we can find the ratio of mboy to mmgr to be -1.
dorian_stokes

Homework Statement

A boy of mass mboy stands at the edge of a merry-go-round of radius R = 3.4 m and mass mmgr, and both are initially at rest. The boy then walks along the edge of the merry-go-round. After walking a distance of 25 m relative to the merry-go-round, the boy finds that the merry-go-round has rotated through an angle of 50°. Find the ratio of mboy to mmgr.

Homework Equations

I_B*W_B=I_M*W_M
mr^2*delta theta/delta time=0.5*mr^2* delta theta/delta time

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I_B=0.5mboy*(3.4m)^2I_M=0.5mmgr*(3.4m)^2W_B=2pi/25m *50 degreesW_M=-2pi/25m *50 degreesI_B*W_B=I_M*W_M(0.5mboy*(3.4m)^2)*(2pi/25m *50 degrees)=(0.5mmgr*(3.4m)^2)*(-2pi/25m*50 degrees)mboy/mmgr=(-3.4m)^2/(3.4m)^2mboy/mmgr=-1

To find the ratio of masses of the boy and the merry-go-round, we can use the equation I_B*W_B=I_M*W_M, where I_B and I_M are the moments of inertia of the boy and the merry-go-round respectively, and W_B and W_M are the angular velocities of the boy and the merry-go-round. Since both objects are initially at rest, their angular velocities are 0. We can also use the equation mr^2*delta theta/delta time=0.5*mr^2* delta theta/delta time, where m is the mass, r is the radius, and delta theta/delta time is the angular velocity. Plugging in the given values, we get:

I_B*0=I_M*0
mr^2*(50°/25m)=0.5*mr^2*(0°/0s)

Simplifying, we get:

mr^2=0

This is an impossible result, as it implies that the mass of both the boy and the merry-go-round are 0. Therefore, there must be an error in the given information or equations. Without accurate information, it is not possible to determine the ratio of masses between the boy and the merry-go-round. As a scientist, it is important to ensure that all data and equations are accurate and consistent in order to obtain meaningful results.

1. What is the ratio of masses of the merry-go-round and the boy?

The ratio of masses between the merry-go-round and the boy is typically 1:1. This means that the mass of the boy is equal to the mass of the merry-go-round.

2. How does the ratio of masses affect the movement of the merry-go-round?

The ratio of masses between the merry-go-round and the boy affects the movement by determining the amount of force needed to accelerate or decelerate the rotation. The greater the mass of the boy, the more force is needed to move the merry-go-round.

3. Why is the ratio of masses important in understanding the mechanics of the merry-go-round?

The ratio of masses is important in understanding the mechanics of the merry-go-round because it helps determine the amount of force needed to cause changes in motion. It also affects the overall stability and balance of the merry-go-round.

4. How does the ratio of masses change if there are multiple children on the merry-go-round?

If there are multiple children on the merry-go-round, the ratio of masses will change. The mass of the merry-go-round will remain the same, but the total mass of the children will need to be divided by the number of children to determine the individual mass of each child.

5. Can the ratio of masses change during the rotation of the merry-go-round?

The ratio of masses can change during the rotation of the merry-go-round if a child gets on or off. However, as long as no changes in mass occur during the rotation, the ratio of masses will remain constant.