Rawr Stuck on ODE (linear 1st order)

• Thread starter Omega_Prime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Stuck
In summary, the homework statement is to solve the initial value problem. This equation is in the form y' +P(x)*y = Q(x), so I get an integration factor and solve for y. I get a really big number, -4.22889088e10, so I solve for y and get 8.
Omega_Prime

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem:

y'+[itex]\frac{4y}{x+8}[/itex]=(x+8)[itex]^{8}[/itex] , y(0)=8.

The differential equation is linear.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the equation is in the form y' +P(x)*y = Q(x) so I'm like "easy, let me get an integration factor going and solve this mofo."

I= e[itex]^{\int P(x)dx}[/itex] = e[itex]^{\int \frac{4}{x+8}dx}[/itex] = e[itex]^{4 ln |x+8|}[/itex] = (x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex] (I took the positive expression since any number raised to the 4th power is positive...)

Then multiply the equation by I:

(x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex]*y' + (x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex]*4(x+8)[itex]^{-1}[/itex]*y = (x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex]*(x+8)[itex]^{8}[/itex]

Simplify

y'(x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex]+4y(x+8)[itex]^{3}[/itex] = (x+8)[itex]^{12}[/itex]

Now the LHS is the derivative w/ respect to x for the product y*(x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex] and by integrating both sides I get:

y(x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(x+8)^{13}}{13}[/itex] + C

So now I solve for C given the initial conditions and I get a big *** negative number

C = [itex]\frac{104-8^{9}}{13}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{134217624}{13}[/itex]

My final solution looks like this (gotten it 3 times now, so I must be doing the same mistake over and over...)

y = [itex]\frac{(x+8)^{9} - 134217624}{13}[/itex]

I feel an almost instinctual compulsion to reject any answer that is ginormous or just crazy looking when it comes to homework problems.. but I submitted anyway and sure enough I'm incorrect. Anyone got a bone to throw for me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Solve for y here. Don't plug in the initial condition right away.

You integrated too soon, write out the dy/dx.

mohaque said:

Solve for y here. Don't plug in the initial condition right away.

I didn't think it'd matter... I get the same thing.

y = [itex]\frac{(x+8)^{9}}{13}[/itex] + C[itex]_{1}[/itex] | where C[itex]_{1}[/itex] is just another arbitrary constant that will satisfy the equation given the initial conditions. I get the same constant regardless...

8 = [itex]\frac{8^{9}}{13}[/itex] + C[itex]_{1}[/itex]
C[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 8 - [itex]\frac{8^{9}}{13}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{134217624}{13}[/itex]

mohaque said:
You integrated too soon, write out the dy/dx.

Ok let me look at that, thanks.

No luck. Oh well, thanks for your time I guess.

That's such a ridiculous question, who came up with it?

I keep getting something different than you, a really big number. I think you're supposed to divide the C by the (x+8)^4. You can't change that to another constant because (x+8)^4 isn't a constant. I keep getting -4.22889088e10. Kinda of a ridiculous C and problem.

Omega_Prime said:
Now the LHS is the derivative w/ respect to x for the product y*(x+8)[itex]^{4}[/itex] and by integrating both sides I get:

You're fine up to here. But for y(0) = 8 , shouldn't this be

[tex]8 \cdot 8^{4} = \frac{8^{13}}{13} + C [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 8^{5} = \frac{8^{13}}{13} + C ,[/tex]

and so

[tex]C = 8^{5} - \frac{8^{13}}{13} ?[/tex]

[Note: you are not obligated to simplify this -- in some situations, it isn't even desirable to do so.]

Your solution function is then

[tex] y = \frac{(x+8)^{9}}{13} + [ 8^{5} - \frac{8^{13}}{13} ] \cdot \frac{1}{(x+8)^{4}} . [/tex]

[In your entry above, don't forget that the "arbitrary constant" also getting divided by (x+8)4.]

It is pretty easy to see, in this form, that your initial condition is satisfied.

As far as how you'd come up with such a strange differential equation and solution function, this can arise from the sort of "mixing problems" involving finding the mass function of a substance where solutions of different concentrations are being added and drained from a tank (in which they are "instantaneously mixed"), with the inflow rate being greater than the drainage rate.

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys, I was banging my head on my desk with that. The solution

y = [itex]\frac{(x+8)^{9}}{13}[/itex] + (8[itex]^{5}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{8^{13}}{13}[/itex])(x+8)[itex]^{-4}[/itex]

checked out.

1. What is ODE?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equations. It is a type of mathematical equation that describes how a system changes over time, based on the current state of the system.

2. What is a linear 1st order ODE?

A linear 1st order ODE is a type of ODE where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear form. This means that the dependent variable is raised to the first power and is not multiplied by any other functions.

3. What does it mean to be "stuck" on an ODE?

Being "stuck" on an ODE means that you are having difficulty solving or understanding the equation. It could be due to the complexity of the equation or a lack of knowledge or resources.

4. Why is it important to solve ODEs?

Solving ODEs is important for many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It allows us to model and understand how systems change over time, which can help in predicting future behavior and making informed decisions.

5. How can I approach solving a linear 1st order ODE?

One approach to solving a linear 1st order ODE is by using the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the dependent and independent variables and then integrating both sides to find the solution. Other methods include the use of integrating factors or substitution techniques.