1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh Flow - Integration By Parts

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    Hello,

This is not a question regarding a homework problem, but a step in class the professor did not show how to calculate.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am taking a course on Viscous Flow, and for Rayleigh flow after applying the similiarity solution : [tex]\eta=(y/(2*\sqrt{\gamma*t}))[/tex]

The x-momentum equation is given by [tex]f^{''}+2*\eta*f^{'}=0[/tex]

He states that "after integrating by parts the following solution is obtained"

[tex]f=C_{1}*\int(exp(-\eta^{2})*d\eta)+C_{2}[/tex] (integral is from 0 to [tex]\eta)[/tex]

I probably should, but I don't understand how to integrate the original governing equation by parts and obtain that solution. I have reviewed my old calculus books and cannot find any type of example which is similar. Can anyone shed any light?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Call g=f'. Then the ode is dg/d(eta)+2*eta*g=0. Now just solve for g by separation of variables. Finally integrate g to get f. I'm not sure I would call that 'integration by parts'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?