RC car electric start simple circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a communications electrician in the Navy who is trying to build a circuit for an on-board electric starting system for a vehicle with a Nitro Methane motor. The circuit includes a rechargable 4.8v, 600mAh NiCd connected to a servo operated micro switch, with one branch powering the starting motor and the other powering the ignitor. The person is seeking advice on what size resistors to use and if a second resistor is needed on the cathode side. They are also asking for more information and assistance from others.
sailinghickey
I'm a communications electrician in the Navy. I went through some electronics theory about eight years ago. Now, I'm trying to build a simple circuit for an on-board electric starting system. The vehicle runs on a small Nitro Methane motor and uses a glow plug for the ignition. I'm using a rechargable 4.8v, 600mAh NiCd connected to a servo operated micro switch. From there, the circuit branches into parallell. One branch is unregulated to power the starting motor. the other branch powers the ignitor. The ignitor can only handle 1.3v.

1) What size resistor or resistors do I need to use in this system? I know one has to go before the annode of the ignitor.

2) Do I need to have a second resistor going into the cathode side as well?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you guys need more info or pictures? I noticed over 80 people have looked at this. Yet, no one has posted a reply. I've been trying to build the circuit through trial and error. No luck yet though.

You need to post circuits, pictures and current and voltage measurements as well as a full description of what you are trying to do.

You have some electronics experience, so you should be able to gather much of this information.

Then it would help if you could say what you have already tried.

FAQ: RC car electric start simple circuit

1) How does an electric start circuit work in an RC car?

An electric start circuit in an RC car works by using a battery to power a motor that turns the engine's flywheel. This, in turn, starts the engine and allows the car to move.

2) What components are needed for a simple electric start circuit in an RC car?

The basic components needed for a simple electric start circuit in an RC car include a battery, a motor, a switch, and wires to connect them all together. Depending on the specific design, other components such as resistors and capacitors may also be needed.

3) What is the purpose of a starter motor in an RC car's electric start circuit?

The starter motor is the component responsible for turning the engine's flywheel. It uses electricity from the battery to rotate the flywheel, which starts the engine and allows the car to move.

4) Can I modify an RC car to add an electric start circuit?

Yes, it is possible to modify an RC car to add an electric start circuit. However, it requires a good understanding of electronics and may require some soldering and wiring skills. It is always recommended to consult with a professional or experienced hobbyist before attempting any modifications.

5) Are there any safety concerns with an electric start circuit in an RC car?

As with any electronic circuit, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when using an electric start circuit in an RC car. It is important to use the correct voltage and make sure all connections are secure to prevent any potential electrical hazards. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take proper precautions while handling the battery and motor.

Back