RC time constant lab, Current vs time

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab assignment involving a simple circuit and data collection of a capacitor charging and discharging. The known values of resistance and capacitance are provided by the professor. The task is to find the RC time constant and compare the calculated capacitance value with the given value. The equation V=IR is used to find the voltage, and the equation I=dQ/dt is used to calculate the unknown charge. Finally, the equation Q=CV is used to find the capacitance value using the known charge and voltage values.
Tjvelcro

Homework Statement

In my lab we where given a simple circuit and told to get some data of a capacitor charging and discharging. Thus I now have a graph of current vs time, we used semi-log paper for this so the graph would be a straight line.

We are given the value of the resistor and capacitor from the professor.

We are now asked to find the RC time constant of both charge the discharge, then find the C of our capacitor from our data and compare it with the given value from our professor.

Knowns:
R=(0.94x10^6)ohms
C=(62x10^-6) farads
I=(11x10^-6) amps
Our lab asked us to turn up the voltage until we got 11uA therefore I can use ohms law to find my voltage using V=IR
V=(11x10^-6)*(0.94x10^6) = 10.34V

Homework Equations

V=IR
Q=CV
T=RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one value of C simply because my professor gave it to me.
Given C = (62x10^-6) farads

Now I must use the data I recorded to calculate C. This is where I'm stuck, I have a current vs time graph but cannot see how to get a C value with it and can't find the RC time constant of my data.

Tjvelcro

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

What equation relates current to time, for your circuit? It is necessary to know that, in order to proceed.

Current = charge / time
I = q / t
Solve for the unknown q

q=I*t
Then I can use Q=CV right?
Plug in Q and V and solve for C.

C= Q / V

This seems to make sense...

Last edited:
Tjvelcro said:
Current = charge / time
I = q / t

This would work if I were constant, but it isn't constant.

The actual the relation is
I = dQ/dt

At any rate, you should have an equation something like
I = I0e-t/t0
in your textbook or class notes. That is the one you would need to use.

1. What is an RC time constant?

The RC time constant is the time it takes for the capacitor in an RC circuit to charge to approximately 63.2% of its maximum voltage when connected to a power source.

2. How is the RC time constant calculated?

The RC time constant can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in the circuit by the capacitance (C) of the capacitor. This can be represented by the equation RC = R x C.

3. What is the purpose of an RC time constant lab?

An RC time constant lab is used to study the relationship between the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit and the time it takes to reach certain voltage levels. This can help understand the behavior of capacitors and their applications in electronic circuits.

4. How does the current vary with time in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the current initially starts at its maximum value and decreases exponentially over time as the capacitor charges. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the current stops flowing through the circuit.

5. What factors affect the RC time constant?

The RC time constant is affected by the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant, while a lower resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time constant. The voltage of the power source also affects the time constant, as a higher voltage will result in a faster charging time.