Reaction Kinetics, batch reactor varying volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the time required for a reaction and the use of the equation dCa/dt=Ra. The person is struggling with integrating the reaction rate due to changes in volume and concentration. They also ask for clarification on whether the total molar density in the reactor changes as the reaction proceeds.
MatStrat
NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY ENTERED INTO WRONG FORUM

Hi Guys,

I have attached the question that I am struggling with (part b of the question)

I have worked out that the conversion of A is X=0.21

Using this conversion I'm trying to work out the time required for the reaction

I am trying to use this equation: dCa/dt=Ra
where Ra is the reaction rate
but if i integrate the reaction rate i can't assume its constant due to volume and concentration changes so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Can you guys let me know if my reasoning is wrong, or if Ra is constant

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.19.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.19.55 PM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 507
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total molar density in the reactor? Does this change as the reaction proceeds?

1. What is reaction kinetics?

Reaction kinetics is the study of the rate at which chemical reactions occur and the factors that influence this rate.

2. What is a batch reactor?

A batch reactor is a type of chemical reactor in which reactants are added to a closed system and allowed to react for a specific period of time before being removed.

3. How does the volume of a batch reactor affect the reaction kinetics?

The volume of a batch reactor can affect the reaction kinetics by changing the concentration of reactants and products, as well as the surface area available for reaction. As the volume decreases, the concentration of reactants increases, which can lead to a faster reaction rate. However, a smaller volume may also limit the surface area available for reaction, resulting in a slower reaction rate.

4. What factors can influence the rate of a reaction in a batch reactor?

Some factors that can influence the rate of a reaction in a batch reactor include temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and mixing efficiency. Changes in these factors can affect the rate of the reaction and the overall outcome.

5. How can reaction kinetics in a batch reactor be controlled?

Reaction kinetics in a batch reactor can be controlled by adjusting the factors that influence the rate of the reaction. This can include changing the temperature, concentration of reactants, or using a catalyst to speed up the reaction. The volume of the reactor can also be adjusted to control the reaction kinetics.