Reaction of an aromatic arene test

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic test for an amine involving mixing HCl and aniline, cooling a solution of sodium nitrite, and adding beta-naphthol in NaOH. A red precipitate was formed, possibly from the beta-naphthol, and the solutions needed to be cold for a diazotization reaction to occur. The purpose of the test was to identify the unknown compound.
penguinraider

Homework Statement

Hey, so I've done a basic test for an amine, which involves mixing HCl and aniline and cooling it, cooling a solution of sodium nitrite in a second test tube, and mixing the two when sufficiently cold. When both soutions reached zero celsius, they were mixed, and a solution if beta-naphthol in NaOH was added. Could anyone tell me how everything's reacted?

Homework Equations

Been given nothing... after all, that's what I'm supposed to find out

The Attempt at a Solution

A red precipitate was formed, which at a wild and irrational guess could be based from the beta-naphthol, but I honestly have no idea where to start with this one. I haven't been able to find out what it could be anywhere...

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: And why would the solutions need to be so cold? It's kinda counter-intuitive by my thinking... not a homework question, this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction you are asking about is a diazotization reaction. The initially formed diazonium salt of aniline is reacted with an aromatic alcohol to produce a diazo compound. Aromatic diazonium salts that react with phenols generally produce highly colored compounds (azo dyes).

It's goooood chemistry!

Thank you very much! :)

1. What is the purpose of the Reaction of an aromatic arene test?

The Reaction of an aromatic arene test is used to determine whether a compound contains an aromatic ring. This test is important in organic chemistry because aromatic rings have unique properties and reactivities that can affect the behavior of a molecule.

2. How is the Reaction of an aromatic arene test performed?

The test involves mixing the compound with a strong oxidizing agent, such as potassium permanganate, in the presence of acid. If the compound contains an aromatic ring, it will undergo a characteristic color change, indicating the presence of an unsaturated ring structure.

3. What types of compounds can be tested using the Reaction of an aromatic arene test?

This test is specifically designed to detect the presence of benzene rings, but it can also be used to identify other aromatic compounds, such as naphthalene, phenol, and aniline.

4. What are the limitations of the Reaction of an aromatic arene test?

This test can only detect the presence of aromatic rings, but it cannot determine the exact structure of the ring. It is also not able to differentiate between different types of aromatic compounds, as they all produce a similar color change.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when performing the Reaction of an aromatic arene test?

Yes, it is important to handle the strong oxidizing agent and acid with caution, as they can be harmful to skin and eyes. It is also recommended to perform the test in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.