1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction of an aromatic arene test

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey, so I've done a basic test for an amine, which involves mixing HCl and aniline and cooling it, cooling a solution of sodium nitrite in a second test tube, and mixing the two when sufficiently cold. When both soutions reached zero celsius, they were mixed, and a solution if beta-naphthol in NaOH was added. Could anyone tell me how everything's reacted?

2. Relevant equations

Been given nothing... after all, that's what I'm supposed to find out

3. The attempt at a solution

A red precipitate was formed, which at a wild and irrational guess could be based from the beta-naphthol, but I honestly have no idea where to start with this one. I haven't been able to find out what it could be anywhere...

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: And why would the solutions need to be so cold? It's kinda counter-intuitive by my thinking... not a homework question, this.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reaction you are asking about is a diazotization reaction. The initially formed diazonium salt of aniline is reacted with an aromatic alcohol to produce a diazo compound. Aromatic diazonium salts that react with phenols generally produce highly colored compounds (azo dyes).

It's goooood chemistry!

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much!!!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook