1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactions Of CO2

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    I wanna ask that which element can react with co2 gas to split c and o or what will happen if NaOH reacts with h2co3

NaOH+H2CO3---> 2CH3COONa+2H2O+5O2 IS IT CORRECT?

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi rajavarshney. [Broken]

I doubt that anyone here is going to provide you with the answers to your homework. You should be able to answer the first by a google search and some easy reading, or I think you will find it in most high school science text books in the section on CO2 chemistry.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 6, 2013 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Physicsforums frowns on users editing their original post so drastically that it becomes a new & different question. I recommend that you never do that again.

To help in deducing how acid-base reactions may proceed, it will help you immensely if you first break the reagents into their ionic parts:

Na+ + OH + H+ + CO3= ⟶ .........

In these reactions, it is almost always the simplest looking re-arrangement that you should try for.

BTW, the compound CH3COONa is named sodium acetate.

I hope you enjoy your study of chemistry as much as I did!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted