Real analysis: inequality limitsuperior/inferior

In summary, assuming a_n \geq 0 and that a_n+1\leq M\leq \sqrt[n]{|a_n|} \leq N\leq \overline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}
K29

Homework Statement

Consider [itex]\sum_{1}^{\infty} a_{n}, a_{n} \neq 0[/itex]

Show that

[itex]\underline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}| \leq \underline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}\sqrt[n]{|a_{n}|}\leq \overline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}\sqrt[n]{|a_{n}|)} \leq \overline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}| [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have just been thinking about the limit superior part of the inequality:

[itex]\overline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}\sqrt[n]{|a_{n}|)} \leq \overline{\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}}|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}| [/itex]

Ok so I know that for all n
[itex]|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}| \leq M[/itex]
and that for all n
[itex]\sqrt[n]{|a_{n}|} \leq N[/itex]

The best way I can see to prove that [itex] N \leq M[/itex] is to do a proof by contradiction
so if N>M then for a sufficiently large p such that:
[itex]|\frac{a_{p+1}}{a_{p}}| \leq M \leq \sqrt[p]{|a_{p}|} \leq N[/itex]
I've spent a lot of time manipulating this equation, but I'm not getting to a contradiction.

Can anyone see a way to prove this or an alternative way to do the proof that works?

Another thing I tried was saying:
[itex]\sqrt[n]{|a_{n}|} \leq N [/itex]
So
[itex]a_{n} \leq N^{n}[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt[n+1]{|a_{n+1}|} \leq N [/itex]
So
[itex]a_{n+1} \leq N^{n+1}[/itex]

But I can't really do anything with that as far as I can see. Was just a thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi K29! :smile:

Let's get you started, will we.

First, we will change that annoying limsup by a limit. Note in general that

[itex]\limsup{x_n}\leq \limsup{y_n}[/itex]

If for every subsequence [itex]x_(n_k)[/itex] that increases to the limsup, we have that

[tex]\lim{x_{n_k}}\leq \limsup{y_n}[/tex]

In general, we can take the [itex]x_n[/itex] to converge (maybe to infinity) and we can take them to be increasing. So we need to show that

[tex]\lim{\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}}\leq \limsup{\frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|}}[/tex]

Now, what if you take the logarithm of both sides?

Thanks for the help! Solved :)

FAQ: Real analysis: inequality limitsuperior/inferior

1. What is the definition of limit superior/inferior in real analysis?

In real analysis, the limit superior (or upper limit) of a sequence is the largest number that the terms of the sequence eventually approach. Similarly, the limit inferior (or lower limit) of a sequence is the smallest number that the terms of the sequence eventually approach.

2. How is limit superior/inferior useful in real analysis?

Limit superior/inferior allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It also helps us prove convergence and divergence of sequences, as well as identify accumulation points.

3. Can limit superior/inferior be equal to the actual limit of a sequence?

Yes, the limit superior/inferior can be equal to the actual limit of a sequence. This occurs when the sequence is eventually constant, meaning that all terms after a certain point are equal to the limit.

4. How is limit superior/inferior calculated?

To calculate limit superior, we take the supremum (or the smallest upper bound) of the set of all subsequential limits of a sequence. To calculate limit inferior, we take the infimum (or the largest lower bound) of the set of all subsequential limits of a sequence.

5. Can limit superior/inferior be used for infinite series?

Yes, limit superior/inferior can be used for infinite series. In this case, the limit superior/inferior represents the largest and smallest possible values that the partial sums of the series can approach.