Real Analysis ( measure theory)

In summary, the problem states that for two bounded sets A and B with a minimum distance of α between any elements in the sets, the outer measure of their union is equal to the sum of their individual outer measures. This can be proven by showing that the outer measure of the union is greater than the sum of the individual outer measures, using the definition of outer measure and the fact that the sets are disjoint.
sbashrawi

Homework Statement

Let A and B be bounded sets for which there is [tex]\alpha[/tex] > 0 such that |a -b| [tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]
for all a in A and b in B. Prove that outer measure of ( A [tex]\bigcup[/tex] B ) = outer measure of (A) + outer measure of (B)

Homework Equations

We know that outer measure of the union is less than the addition of outer measure of the single sets
we need to show that it is greater than the addition of outer measures of the sets

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything? The fact that the two sets have a gap between them is obviously important. Try going straight to the definition of outer measure and see if you can spot anything useful

I know that they are disjoint but it is not clear for me how to use this in proving that
the outer measure of union is greater than the addition of the ouetr measure of the sets.

but I tried this:

A [tex]\bigcup[/tex]B[tex]\subset[/tex] O for some set O covering A and B
i.e A [tex]\bigcup[/tex]B[tex]\subset[/tex]([tex]\bigcup[/tex] I[tex]\cup[/tex]J)
So m(A[tex]\bigcup[/tex]B)< m(A) + m(B)
or m(A[tex]\bigcup[/tex]B) + [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > m(A) + m(B)
and since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is arbirary. then it is done.

but I think there is a gab in this proof and I don't know why

Related to Real Analysis ( measure theory)

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the use of rigorous mathematical techniques to understand the behavior of real-valued functions, sequences, and series. Real Analysis also includes the study of limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. What is Measure Theory?

Measure Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures, which are used to assign a numerical value to sets and functions. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and studying concepts such as length, area, and volume, and extends these concepts to more abstract spaces. Measure Theory is an important tool in Real Analysis, as it allows for the precise definition of concepts such as integration and convergence.

3. What are the main concepts in Real Analysis?

The main concepts in Real Analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and convergence. Limits are used to determine the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, and convergence is the process of determining if a sequence or series of numbers approaches a specific value.

4. How is Real Analysis used in other fields?

Real Analysis has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. In physics, Real Analysis is used to study the behavior of physical systems and to develop mathematical models. In engineering, it is used to analyze and design systems and structures. In economics, Real Analysis is used to study economic systems and make predictions. In computer science, it is used to develop algorithms and analyze their efficiency.

5. What are some important theorems in Real Analysis?

Some important theorems in Real Analysis include the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem, which states that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, and the Mean Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point where the derivative is equal to the slope of the secant line. Other important theorems include the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the Intermediate Value Theorem, and the Monotone Convergence Theorem.