Real numbers as infinitly wide tuples, what is aleph 2?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, we discussed the possibility of generalizing all aleph 1 sets as sets of infinitely wide tuples and concluded that this is not possible due to the cardinality of such tuples being 2^{\aleph_0}. We also touched on the concept of aleph numbers as orders of infinity and the use of beth numbers to represent the cardinality of power sets.
TylerH
First, can all aleph 1 sets be generalized as sets of infinitely wide tuples? As in, let [itex]a_1a_2_a3 \ldots \in \Re[/itex] map to [itex](a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots)[/itex].

Second, if countably infinite sets are n-tuples, aleph 1 sets are infinite tuples, can this pattern be generalized to even higher cardinality?

Physics news on Phys.org
TylerH said:
First, can all aleph 1 sets be generalized as sets of infinitely wide tuples? As in, let [itex]a_1a_2_a3 \ldots \in \Re[/itex] map to [itex](a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots)[/itex].
Yup. Well, at least if the cardinality of possible a_i is small enough.

Second, if countably infinite sets are n-tuples, aleph 1 sets are infinite tuples, can this pattern be generalized to even higher cardinality?
Nope. If you have an infinite vector of infinite tuples, then that's equivalent to having an infinite vector of reals. And the cardinality of such vectors is just aleph one again.

TylerH said:

You mean tuples of natural numbers, right?? The answer is sadly that this is incorrect :frown:

Finite n-tuples of natural numbers are countables. But the set of "infinitely wide" tuples has cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex], and this is (without the continuum hypothesis) not equal to [itex]\aleph_1[/itex].

How can we see this?? Well, instead of looking at infinitely wide tuples of natural numbers, let us look at tuples such that the elements of the tuples are only 0 or 1. So, an example of such a tuple is

[tex](0,0,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,...)[/tex]

We will show that the set of all such tuples (a set which I will denote by A) has cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex]. Indeed, there exists a bijection

[tex]A\rightarrow \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{N})[/tex]

that is, every element of A determines uniquely a subset of the naturals. How do we do this?? It's an ingenious trick:

Let's say that we have (0,0,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,...). We will build a subset of the naturals in the following way.

The zero'th element of the tuple is 0, so 0 will not belong to our subset.
The first element of the tuple is 0, so 1 will not belong to our subset.
The second element of the tuple is 1, so 2 will belong to our subset.
The third element of the tuple is 1, so 3 will belong to our subset.
The fourth element of the tuple is 1, so 4 will belong to our subset.
The fifth element of the tuple is 0, so 5 will not belong to our subset.
The sixth element of the tuple is 1, so 6 will belong to our subset.

So we have formed a subset {2,3,4,6,8,...} of the naturals. In the same fashion, every infinite tuple defines a subset of the naturals, and every subset of the naturals determines a tuple. For example, {4,5} is determined by the tuple (0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,...).

I hope that was a bit understandable. In any case, this shows that there are as much tuples of natural numbers as there are subsets of the natural numbers. And there are (by definition) [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex] subsets of the naturals.

As stated by the continuumhypothesis, it cannot be proven nor disproven that [itex]\aleph_1=2^{\aleph_0}[/itex], so in the absence of the continuum hypothesis, your set will not have cardinality [itex]\aleph_1[/itex].

You may ask: which set does have cardinality [itex]\aleph_1[/itex]. This question is quite difficult to answer, and I do not know any elementary sets of cardinality [itex]\aleph_1[/itex]. The only sets of cardinality [itex]\aleph_1[/itex] that I know, will involve ordinals.

I hope this was a bit clear and not too technical. Feel free to ask for more explanations.

pmsrw3 said:
Yup. Well, at least if the cardinality of possible a_i is small enough.

Sadly, this is not possible. We can even let the possible ai be {0,1}, and we would still have that all the infinite tuples would have cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex].

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question?

micromass said:
Sadly, this is not possible. We can even let the possible ai be {0,1}, and we would still have that all the infinite tuples would have cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex].

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question?
OK, then I was confused. I though aleph 1 was, by definition, the cardinality of the power set of the naturals. Apparently I was mistaken. But then, what IS aleph 1?

pmsrw3 said:
OK, then I was confused. I though aleph 1 was, by definition, the cardinality of the power set of the naturals. Apparently I was mistaken. But then, what IS aleph 1?

Uh, that's quite difficult to explain precisely.

The cardinality of finite sets can be 0, or 1, or 2,...
The smallest cardinality that an infinite set can have is [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], such a set is countable.
The smallest cardinality that an uncountable set can have is [itex]\aleph_1[/itex].
The smallest cardinality that an set with cardinality [itex]\geq \aleph_1[/itex] can have is [itex]\aleph_2[/itex].
And so on...

So the aleph numbers describe orders of infinite: [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] is the smallest infinity, [itex]\aleph_1[/itex] is the one after that, [itex]\aleph_2[/itex] is the one after that, and so...

It is not known (and it can never be known) where [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex] falls in this hierarchy. This is the continuumhypothesis.

We can give names to the cardinality of power sets however. This yields the beth-numbers (aleph is the first letter in the hebrew alphabet, beth is the second). So

[tex]\Gamma_0=\aleph_0,~\Gamma_1=2^{\aleph_0},~\Gamma_2=2^{2^{\aleph_0}},...[/tex]

(I used the symbol [itex]\Gamma[/itex] here, since I don't know the LaTeX-code for Beth. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_number to see what Beth looks like)

Got it. OK, I guess I need to replace all the aleph's in my first post with beth's.

Related to Real numbers as infinitly wide tuples, what is aleph 2?

1. What are real numbers as infinitely wide tuples?

Real numbers as infinitely wide tuples are a mathematical concept that represents the set of all possible numbers on a number line. They include both rational and irrational numbers, and are typically represented as decimal numbers with an infinite number of digits after the decimal point.

2. How are real numbers as infinitely wide tuples different from regular numbers?

The main difference between real numbers as infinitely wide tuples and regular numbers is that the former includes all possible numbers, including irrational numbers like pi and square root of 2, while the latter is limited to rational numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

3. What is aleph 2 in relation to real numbers as infinitely wide tuples?

Aleph 2 is a cardinal number that represents the size or cardinality of the set of real numbers as infinitely wide tuples. It is the second smallest infinite cardinal number and is equal to the cardinality of the power set of aleph 1, which is the cardinality of the set of all countable ordinal numbers.

4. How is aleph 2 calculated?

Aleph 2 is not calculated in the traditional sense, as it is an infinite cardinal number. However, it can be thought of as the next level of infinity after aleph 1, and is equal to 2 raised to the power of aleph 1.

5. What is the significance of aleph 2 in mathematics?

Aleph 2 has significant implications in set theory and the study of infinity. It is the smallest uncountable cardinal number and plays a crucial role in the study of the continuum hypothesis, which deals with the existence of certain infinite sets. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis.