Real Object, Images formed by a single converging or diverging lens

In summary: Sorry I can't be of more help!In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of images by single lenses, with a focus on the characteristics of converging and diverging lenses. It is established that for a converging lens, an object must be placed between the focal length and the lens in order to form a virtual image, while a diverging lens can produce a real, inverted, reduced image. It is also stated that a converging lens can produce a virtual, upright, enlarged image, and that a converging lens can never produce a virtual, upright, reduced image. The conversation also mentions laws of rays passing through a lens and the possibility of a diverging lens producing an inverted image.
skibum143

Homework Statement

Starting with a real object, which of the following statements are TRUE about the image formed by a single lens? (Choose ALL correct answers, e.g. B, AC, CDF.)

A) For a converging lens an object has to be placed between the focal length and the lens in order to form a virtual image.
B) A diverging lens can produce a real, inverted, reduced image.
C) A converging lens can produce a virtual, upright, enlarged image.
D) A converging lens cannot produce a real, inverted reduced image.
E) A converging lens can never produce a virtual, upright, reduced image.
F) A diverging lens always produces a virtual, upright, reduced image.

Homework Equations

laws of rays passing through a lens

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting this wrong, and I'm not sure which one I've mixed up.
A) True - I believe this is the only way to get a virtual image for a converging lens
B) False - Diverging lenses CANT produce real images
C) True - if the object is between the focal point and the lens
D) False - this is possible if the object is placed, say, 2 times the focal length away from the lens
E) True - this is not possible because any virtual images are enlarged ?
F) False - diverging lenses can produce inverted images as well

can someone help me figure out where I'm wrong?
These are the answers I've tried:
TFTFTF
TTTFTF
TFTFTT
TFTFFF

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the last one is true. It seems like any raytrace on a diverging lens forms a upright reduced and virtual image.

I guess my prof said that a diverging lens could possibly form an inverted image, although I'm not sure how.

I also already tried that combination: TFTFTT
So I must either have another one wrong or something... not sure...

skibum143 said:
I guess my prof said that a diverging lens could possibly form an inverted image, although I'm not sure how.

I also already tried that combination: TFTFTT
So I must either have another one wrong or something... not sure...

I find that hard to believe as all virtual images are upright.

I didn't know that all virtual images are upright, that is good to know!

However, if Part F is true, I still have something else wrong, as I tried: TFTFTT

So I'm not sure what other one I have wrong...

Yeah I'm not sure what else could be different TFTFTT seems right to me.

1. What is a real object?

A real object is a physical object that exists in the real world and can be seen and touched. It can be anything from a pencil to a person to a building.

2. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the center and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens and it causes light rays to converge or come together at a point. This type of lens is commonly used in cameras and magnifying glasses.

3. How is an image formed by a single converging lens?

An image is formed by a single converging lens when light rays from an object pass through the lens and converge at a point on the other side of the lens. This point is known as the focal point and the image formed is a real image, meaning it can be projected onto a screen.

4. What is a diverging lens?

A diverging lens is a type of lens that is thinner in the center and thicker at the edges. It is also known as a concave lens and it causes light rays to diverge or spread out. This type of lens is commonly used in eyeglasses to correct nearsightedness.

5. Can a single lens form both real and virtual images?

Yes, a single lens can form both real and virtual images depending on the location of the object relative to the lens. If the object is placed beyond the focal point of a converging lens, a real image will be formed. If the object is placed between the lens and the focal point, a virtual image will be formed. Similarly, a diverging lens can also form both real and virtual images depending on the location of the object.