I Realistic time dilation for objects more massive than a subatomic particle?

• Thread starter dsaun777
  • Start date
Time travel, or more precisely time dilation, has been a well known proven result of Relativity. It has been demonstrated most notably in satellites travelling thousands of mph around the world with GPS. You can only go forward with our current understanding of physics.
Have there been any attempts to push these experiments further? Any attempt to make something of a larger mass than a subatomic particle reach near the speed of light? I realize that would require a tremendous amount of energy, but there could be some clever way to reach high velocities other than burning fuels and large particle accelerators.
If you know of any methods I would like to be the first to enter some time capsule and travel few decades into the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
there could be some clever way to reach high velocities other than burning fuels and large particle accelerators.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. If you want to go fast relative to the Earth (those last four words are important - you are already travelling fast with respect to various subatomic particles) then you need to get the energy to accelerate you from somewhere.

PAllen

Science Advisor
To put numbers on it, to get a time dilation factor of just 2, for a 1 gram object, you would need to impart kinetic energy equal to the Nagasaki nuclear bomb without destroying the object.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
For reference, the Breakthrough Starshot project aims to send gram-sized StarChips to Alpha Centauri at around 0.15c to 0.2c. This would correspond to a gamma factor of around 1.02.

russ_watters

Mentor
To put numbers on it, to get a time dilation factor of just 2, for a 1 gram object, you would need to impart kinetic energy equal to the Nagasaki nuclear bomb without destroying the object.
...which requires about 80% of the speed of light.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Time travel, or more precisely time dilation...
:nitpick:
These two things should not be conflated.
Time dilation is not "time travel".

I mean, time dilation is no more "time travelling" than simply getting older is "time travelling".

russ_watters

Mentor
Well, closer to 90%: 86.6%, or exactly (√3)/2 of c.
Hmmm....not sure how I did that (did I mean to round to 90?). I even used this calculator:

n
For reference, the Breakthrough Starshot project aims to send gram-sized StarChips to Alpha Centauri at around 0.15c to 0.2c. This would correspond to a gamma factor of around 1.02.
That is interesting to be able to reach our closest star in 20 years
:nitpick:
These two things should not be conflated.
Time dilation is not "time travel".

I mean, time dilation is no more "time travelling" than simply getting older is "time travelling".
I do consider aging time traveling, seeing time is the fourth dimension we are all moving through. If you can age more slowy than others through time dilation you are taking a very different path in spacetime.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
I do consider aging time traveling...
Which is fine, but you may get tired of being challenged on it - or worse, not being taken seriously.