Solving Equations for C: A Guide for Physics Beginners

• Thread starter ronislegend
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with three physics problems in their new Honors Physics class. They mention trying to rearrange equations to solve for the variable "C" and receive guidance on basic algebra methods. The conversation then shifts to discussing the term "chroot" and joking about using common sense when using Linux.
ronislegend
Hey in my Physics class which just started, there's these 3 problems I do not know how to do. If someone could assist me and or show me the correct way how to do these... Now I know a little bit about how about going this but I just can't seem to solve them. I'm sorry if this is a n00b physics question. My first day in "Honors Physics";

It goes like this: "Rearrange the equations so they solve for the variable "C". SHOW WORK"

BCA/R=V

C-B/A=VR

VB/R=A+C^2

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just basic algebra. You can do (nearly) any operation to both sides of an equation, and the equation will remain true. For example, you can divide both sides of your first equation by B, and you'll end up with

CA/R = V/B

which is closer to your desired solution.

- Warren

Thank you, I understand now!

Hey does "chroot" mean your a linux guru?

Something like that, yes. :smile:

- Warren

Well, it's good he decided to chroot before doing an rm -rf /* :smile:

yeah, but all that is, is: apt-get install common-sense

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides by the same number or variable.

2. Can I rearrange an equation by changing the order of the terms?

Yes, you can rearrange an equation by changing the order of the terms as long as you perform the same operation to both sides of the equation. For example, you can move a term from one side of the equation to the other by adding or subtracting it to both sides.

3. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

The purpose of rearranging an equation is to solve for a specific variable or to simplify the equation. This allows you to manipulate the equation to better understand its relationship and to make it easier to solve.

4. Is there a specific order to rearrange an equation?

There is no specific order to rearrange an equation, but it is important to follow the rules of algebra and perform the same operation to both sides of the equation in order to maintain its equality. It may also be helpful to first simplify the equation by combining like terms before rearranging.

5. Can I rearrange any type of equation?

In most cases, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. However, some equations may require more advanced techniques or may not be able to be rearranged if they have multiple variables or are non-linear.