Reason for finding power devices losses

In summary, power losses are a component of the total energy loss that we need to account for when determining the total power loss. Adding all of the various energy losses together gives the total energy loss per cycle, and multiplying this by the switching frequency gives the average power loss - which is essentially the rate at which we need to remove heat.
billy fok
may i know what is the purpose of finding power devices losses??

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'power device' ?
It could be an electric drill or it could be a computer.
The designer of the device will need to consider energy wastage as heat, amongst other things, in order to choose suitable components with which to build the device.

rootone said:
What do you mean by 'power device' ?
It could be an electric drill or it could be a computer.
The designer of the device will need to consider energy wastage as heat, amongst other things, in order to choose suitable components with which to build the device.
my power device is refer to SiC IGBT

billy fok said:
may i know what is the purpose of finding power devices losses??
Because power losses equate to the heat dissipated in the device. We need this information to design suitable heatsinking and cooling, to keep the devices within their safe operating temperature range.

uart said:
Because power losses equate to the heat dissipated in the device. We need this information to design suitable heatsinking and cooling, to keep the devices within their safe operating temperature range.

may i still know what is the purpose of finding: Pon, Poff, Pon-state, Pswitching and Ptotal??

billy fok said:
may i still know what is the purpose of finding: Pon, Poff, Pon-state, Pswitching and Ptotal??
They are just the various components of the total energy loss that we need to account for when determining the total power loss.

The total energy loss per cycle generally consists of the on state losses plus the switching losses. The switching consist of the "turn on" losses plus the "turn off" losses.

Adding all of the various energy losses together gives the total energy loss per cycle, and multiplying this by the switching frequency gives the average power loss - which is essentially the rate at which we need to remove heat.

I deal with this issue daily - the devices have a max temperature they can survive, if they generate more heat than you can dissipate - they will fail. ( There is of course the other issue of system efficiency) .
It is a constant struggle to get EEs to really pay attention to how effective their cooling ( heat dissipation is) - it is very common for EEs to use a Fixed Heatsink Temp of 80C - then the Heatsink supplier has to provide a HS that can dissipate X watts of heat to an ambient Temp Y - this is fine for the first pass evaluation but not for any type of an optimized system (not to mention determining lifetime!). When I meet a new EE on a new project and I ask what is your Rth and I get a blank stare - I know it will be a long road to get good information to help them succeed in their job of selecting the best device.

Related to Reason for finding power devices losses

1. What is the reason for finding power device losses?

The reason for finding power device losses is to determine the efficiency and performance of a power device. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing power systems.

2. How are power device losses calculated?

Power device losses can be calculated using various methods, such as measurement, simulation, or analytical models. These methods take into account factors such as device characteristics, operating conditions, and circuit topologies.

3. What are the common types of power device losses?

The common types of power device losses include conduction losses, switching losses, and gate drive losses. Conduction losses occur when the device is conducting current, switching losses occur during the transition between on and off states, and gate drive losses are caused by the power needed to drive the device's gate.

4. How do power device losses affect system design?

Power device losses can have a significant impact on the design of a power system. Higher losses mean lower efficiency and increased heat generation, which can lead to reduced lifespan and reliability of the system. Therefore, minimizing losses is important for optimizing the design and performance of power systems.

5. How can power device losses be reduced?

Power device losses can be reduced by using more efficient devices, optimizing their operating conditions, and implementing advanced control techniques. Thermal management strategies, such as heat sinks and cooling systems, can also help to reduce losses and improve the overall efficiency of the system.