Reason for people crossing their legs - a habit?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, the conversation discusses the habit of crossing legs and whether it is a result of nature or nurture. The speaker mentions that they do it automatically and it could be for comfort. They also bring up the idea of evolutionary psychology but are unsure of its viability. It is mentioned that as a child, there was more flexibility in sitting positions but as adults, crossing legs is a common way to fidget in limited space.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is the reason for people crossing their legs habit, youngsters do not do it far as my observational skills can tell, i seem to do it automatically.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the habit, I know it's not well, but don't know how to get rid of it

I think it's just comfort. I don't see anything wrong here?

I could make an elaborate argument from evolutionary psychology, but I'm not sure on its viability. I'd pick nurture or social causes over nature this time around.

I did cross my legs as a kid, as far as I can remember, but probably not as often. When you're a kid, you can also wiggle around a lot more if you're not comfortable sitting, can sit with your knees up, or cross-legged, or probably even stick your feet behind your head, and nobody is going to be appalled. I don't think that would go over so well among adults, so we're a bit more limited to just crossing our legs when we fidget. Also, when you're a kid, there's more room in all the chairs. I know I cross my legs a lot more when I'm sitting in a chair with too little leg room and am trying to find a way to keep my legs from cramping up.

Related to Reason for people crossing their legs - a habit?

1. Why do people cross their legs?

People cross their legs as a habit or a way to stay comfortable while sitting for extended periods of time. It can also be a way to maintain balance and stability while sitting on an unstable surface.

2. Is crossing your legs bad for your health?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests crossing your legs is bad for your health. However, if done for long periods of time, it can lead to temporary numbness or discomfort in the legs.

3. Do men and women cross their legs for different reasons?

Yes, studies have shown that men tend to cross their legs as a way to take up more space and appear dominant, while women tend to cross their legs for comfort and to appear more feminine.

4. Can crossing your legs cause varicose veins?

There is no direct link between crossing your legs and the development of varicose veins. However, sitting for long periods of time in any position can increase the risk of developing varicose veins.

5. Is crossing your legs a learned behavior?

Yes, crossing your legs is considered a learned behavior as it is not a natural or instinctual position for the body. It is often taught or imitated from others as a way to appear more polite or elegant while sitting.