Reason for people crossing their legs - a habit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reason
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
Is the reason for people crossing their legs habit, youngsters do not do it far as my observational skills can tell, i seem to do it automatically.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's just comfort. I don't see anything wrong here?
 
I could make an elaborate argument from evolutionary psychology, but I'm not sure on its viability. I'd pick nurture or social causes over nature this time around.
 
I did cross my legs as a kid, as far as I can remember, but probably not as often. When you're a kid, you can also wiggle around a lot more if you're not comfortable sitting, can sit with your knees up, or cross-legged, or probably even stick your feet behind your head, and nobody is going to be appalled. I don't think that would go over so well among adults, so we're a bit more limited to just crossing our legs when we fidget. Also, when you're a kid, there's more room in all the chairs. I know I cross my legs a lot more when I'm sitting in a chair with too little leg room and am trying to find a way to keep my legs from cramping up.