Recent Downtime: Apologies & Resolution

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the recent downtime on the site was caused by power failures due to a malfunctioning server chassis. The chassis has been swapped and the site is now functioning properly. Many thanks to those who helped resolve the issue. There were concerns about a possible hacker attack, but it was determined to be a natural cause. Additionally, there were issues with memory that have now been resolved, but it has been a bad week for hardware. Despite the downtime, some were able to use the break to focus on other tasks. Let's hope there are no further issues and the site can continue to run smoothly.
Sorry for the recent downtime. We ended up having some power failures resulting from a malfunctioning server chassis. The chassis was swapped and now we are good to go. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry for the recent downtime. We ended up having some power failures resulting form a malfunctioning server chassis. The chassis was swapped and now we are good to go. thanks!

thanks to you! and whoever helped bring PF back on line. It's a relief to know it was not some hacker but due to natural causes.

marcus said:
thanks to you! and whoever helped bring PF back on line. It's a relief to know it was not some hacker but due to natural causes.

My thoughts exactly!

Likewise. Thankyou!

Awesome. Thanks for the fiex, Greg. I was starting to worry...

Thanks Greg. It's hard not knowing how our family is doing.

Just had some 502s a few minutes ago.

I wasn't able to access the site all morning (9am until 2pm GMT).

JaredJames said:
I wasn't able to access the site all morning (9am until 2pm GMT).

The same with me. I just started working 15 minutes ago...

It was down for me too for several hours this morning and very slow now. Another attack?

The break allowed me to get on with some less important work!

:rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:
memory went bad. now replaced. bad week for hardware :(

That's two, they say bad things come in three's. Let's hope that is NOT the case.

Long live PF...

Rhody...

P.S. Visualizing dozens if not hundreds of folks waiting for their daily PF fix, and not being able to get it... including yours truly...

What caused the recent downtime?

The recent downtime was caused by a server malfunction that resulted in a temporary loss of connection to our website. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and have worked to resolve the issue.

How long was the website down?

The website was down for approximately 2 hours. Our team worked quickly to identify and fix the issue, and the website is now back up and running smoothly.

Will there be compensation for the downtime?

We understand the frustration of our users during the downtime and apologize for any inconvenience. At this time, we are not offering compensation for the downtime. However, we are continuously working to improve our systems and prevent future downtime.

How can I prevent future downtime?

Unfortunately, unexpected downtime can occur despite our best efforts. However, we are continuously monitoring our systems and implementing updates and improvements to minimize the risk of future downtime.

Is my data safe during the downtime?

Yes, your data is safe and secure during the downtime. Our systems are regularly backed up and we have multiple safeguards in place to protect user data. We apologize for any inconvenience the downtime may have caused and assure you that your data is secure.