Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recloser Control

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    I'm new to Hardware programming, Can you give me an idea on how to create a controller on recloser via PC?? The recloser has a rs232 Port, and its a 9 pin.. Thanks... i need it badly thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What languages are you comfortable programming the PC in? Most languages will have an interface to the RS-232 COM ports -- I've used Tcl/Tk before to interface to an RS-232 device from a PC.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can even interface to a serial port with BASIC. Use the OPEN "COMn: [baud] [,parity][,data][,stop][options] AS [#] filenum [LEN=num]

5. Jun 22, 2009 #4

Can I used Vb.net on that?? what devices did u use?? can u give me a step by step instruction on controlling the pins of the Rs232?.. The real deal is i have to sen atleast 5V on rs232 going to the recloser.. thank you again..

6. Jun 22, 2009 #5

berkeman

Your PC will output +/-12V on the RS-232 signals. The minimum to meet the standard is +/-5V, I believe.

Yes, you should be able to write to the COM port using VB.net. Just look in the Help files or other instructional materials you have to see the format used for opening, writing, reading and closing the COM port.

7. Jun 22, 2009 #6
    i admit i m an idiot on this one,, can u give some reference books regarding on this? how will i check if 5volts is flowing on my Cable? Can I also control the PINs of the Rs232 port? thanks again...

8. Jun 22, 2009 #7

berkeman

9. Jun 23, 2009 #8
    i have this following codes.. i dont understand them... can u xplain them..

Const Xon = &H11
    Const Xoff = &H13

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    MSComm1.Output = "123456789" & Chr$(Xoff)
    End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    MSComm1.Output = "987654321" & Chr$(Xon)
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Form1.Caption = "App1"
    With MSComm1
    .Handshaking = 2 - comRTS
    .RThreshold = 1
    .RTSEnable = True
    .Settings = "9600,n,8,1"
    .SThreshold = 1
    .PortOpen = True
    End With
    Command1.Caption = "&Send Xoff"
    Command2.Caption = "Send &Xon"
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    MSComm1.PortOpen = False
    End Sub

Tnx

10. Jun 23, 2009 #9
  11. Jun 23, 2009 #10

berkeman

Not usually. In the PC COM port context, COM1 and COM2 are usually two separate DB-9 connectors on the back of the PC. COM3-COMn are logical overloads of these two ports, and to be honest, I've never understood them very well. If you want to talk to an RS-232 device, just use the COM1 port, and connect the cable to your device to the DB-9 in the back of your PC labeled COM1.

12. Jun 23, 2009 #11

negitron

Science Advisor

I've included relevant comments for your VB code:

13. Jun 29, 2009 #12
    which of the pins of the rs232 db9pin send -5v/+5v?

14. Jun 29, 2009 #13

berkeman

Why don't you tell us? There are better sources on the web for very basic information like how an RS-232 port works electrically. I would prefer that you do that research first, and then ask us questions if you don't understand what you are researching and reading. Please also provide web pointers to what you are reading and not understanding.

Google is your friend -- learn to use it well. Also, wikipedia.org is a fairly good source of information, as long as you remember that it is publicly-run and anybody can modify the information on it. For basic stuff like RS-232 DB-9 voltages, it's a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

15. Jun 30, 2009 #14

But i don't understand them.. i need someone to explain them to me.. that s why i ask u guys.. and thanks for replying on some of my messages.... The real problem is this.... My company ask me to create a SCADA system for electric utility. My strategy is before i can create the SCADA i need to control first the Recloser on an electric substation, i need to send signal from a remote area to the recloser. the recloser has RS232 connection and an ethernet connection(RJ45 connection) thats is why i'm studying the pins of the rs232..the sad part is that i dont understand them.. im not an engineer..im just a web programmer..

16. Jun 30, 2009 #15

negitron

Science Advisor

You don't need to understand them; you need only understand how to send data out of the port and how to receive data in. You don't need to know how a VCR works inside in order to program it to record a TV show. Presumably, your recloser controller has a user manual which contains the instructions you need to perform various functions and how it reports back its status and such. Start with that, then design an algorithm to do what the recloser manual tells you needs to be done. Presumably, you're going to be connecting the PC to the recloser with an RS-232 serial cable, so you don't need to know what pins do what. You handle all that transparently via software. Learn how to open, read from and write to a COM port using whatever language you're going to be using; the operating system will handle the gritty hardware-level details for you.

17. Jul 1, 2009 #16

berkeman

I agree 100% with negitron's reply. But beyond that, I have a fundamental problem with your thread. A recloser involves life safety:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recloser

and you are saying that you have been tasked with programming Auto Reclosers. And, to be blunt, you appear to have very little practical knowledge of programming COM interfaces and real-time embedded systems.

We will not help you learn how to program life safety level systems here -- you need to take classes and receive certifications to do that.

This thread is closed, per the PF Rules link at the top of the page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook