Calculating Recoil Speed: Mass, Arrow and Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the recoil speed of a person based on the mass of the person, the mass of the arrow, and the velocity at which the arrow was shot. The formula that can be used is (M1*V1)+(M2*V2) = (M1+M2)*Vf, but the person has been having trouble getting the right answer. They have also tried using M1V1 = M2V2 but have not been successful. It is suggested that they need to conserve momentum and use the first formula in a different way. The issue was also found to be a conversion error.
DStan27
can anyone help me with this problem ?? if i am given the mass of a person shooting and arrow, the mass of the arrow and the velocity at which the arrow was shot, what formula could i use to find the the recoil speed of the person.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i've tried using (M1*V1)+(M2*V2) = (M1+M2)*Vf but that didn't work. I've also tried to use M1V1 = M2V2 a couple of ways but can't get the right answer. am i even close to using the right equation??

Yes you are trying to conserve momentum. You need to use the first one but in a different way.

ok, thanks i was actually doing it right but I'm an idiot and converted g to kg wrong.

FAQ: Calculating Recoil Speed: Mass, Arrow and Velocity

What is the formula for calculating recoil speed?

The formula for calculating recoil speed is: Recoil Speed = (Mass of Arrow x Velocity of Arrow) / Mass of Shooter.

Why is it important to calculate recoil speed?

Calculating recoil speed is important because it helps us understand the force and impact that the shooter experiences when firing a projectile. This information can be used to improve shooting techniques and safety measures.

What units should be used when calculating recoil speed?

The mass of the arrow and shooter should be in kilograms (kg) and the velocity of the arrow should be in meters per second (m/s).

How does the mass of the arrow affect recoil speed?

The mass of the arrow has a direct impact on recoil speed. The heavier the arrow, the greater the recoil speed will be. This is because a heavier arrow has more momentum and energy, resulting in a stronger recoil force.

Can recoil speed be reduced?

Yes, recoil speed can be reduced by either decreasing the mass or velocity of the arrow, or by increasing the mass of the shooter. Additionally, using a recoil-absorbing device on the firearm can also help reduce recoil speed.