1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended reading for undergraduate Physics major

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    I am currently in my freshman/sophomore year of college and am majoring in physics. I was wondering what books you can recommend that I read. I really love physics and I just want to learn as much as I can about all different areas of physics.

I have completed Calculus 3 and am willing to read up on DE on my own as well.

I have also completed up to Introductory E&M in physics and I just would like to learn more beyond that level.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Feynman series, no question.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much, what other books are also good?

5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    I second the Feynman Lectures. You should also look through the archives of this section for many recommendations.

A popular book that gives a sort of overview of physical thinking is Time, Space, and Things by B.K. Ridley.

Thinking Like a Physicist is a very interesting little book of Physics problems and solutions.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5
    Thank you very much for the recommendations.

7. Jun 9, 2009 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're looking for popular science books, these are all good:

QED: The strange theory of light and matter (Richard Feynman)
    Black holes and time warps: Einstein's outrageous legacy (Kip Thorne)
    The emperor's new mind (Roger Penrose)

If you're looking for textbooks, then I suggest these:

Introduction to quantum mechanics (David Griffiths)
    Lectures on quantum theory: mathematical and structural foundations (Chris Isham)
    Quantum mechanics: a modern development (Leslie Ballentine) (This one is too advanced if you haven't studied QM yet).

8. Jun 9, 2009 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I recommend "Spacetime, Geometry, Cosmology" by William Burke. One of the best undergraduate books I've read. It is extremely well written and is full of wisdom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook