Red laser erases on glow in the dark surfaces?

In summary, the glow in the dark surfaces is caused by the energy being released when the phosphorescent material is in an exited state.
Daniel Petka
Hey guys,

So recently I came across a weird phenomenon...
Basically, I shined a red laser on a glow in dark surface and the laser could erase it. The fun fact is that before the laser erases the are, it makes it glow for a short time. You need good goggles to see the glow despite the intense red light.
I expected that, since you can't just lose that energy.
Is there any scientific explanation for this erasing?

Thanks ;)

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "erasing"? Is the phosphorescent surface already glowing prior to shining the laser on it?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean by "erasing"? Is the phosphorescent surface already glowing prior to shining the laser on it?

The laser makes the surface radiate all the energy, so it doesn't glow anymore

Daniel Petka said:
Hey guys,

So recently I came across a weird phenomenon...
Basically, I shined a red laser on a glow in dark surface and the laser could erase it. The fun fact is that before the laser erases the are, it makes it glow for a short time. You need good goggles to see the glow despite the intense red light.
I expected that, since you can't just lose that energy.

Thanks ;)

UPDATE: Every wavelength longer then the emitted wavelength is able to do the trick.

Daniel Petka said:
The laser makes the surface radiate all the energy, so it doesn't glow anymore

So the surface is glowing, then you illuminate it with a red laser (which also makes it glow, but in a different way?), and it stops glowing wherever you've illuminated it?

Basically, I shined a red laser on a glow in dark surface and the laser could erase it. The fun fact is that before the laser erases the are, it makes it glow for a short time. You need good goggles to see the glow despite the intense red light. I expected that, since you can't just lose that energy. Is there any scientific explanation for this erasing?

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/red-laser-erases-on-glow-in-the-dark-surfaces.906035/

What was the material that was glowing? Could you tell what colour it glowed when you shone the laser on it? Was the erasure permanent? (What happened the next day?)

It's possible (though it seems unlikely) that your laser was causing the glowing material to decompose chemically. It also seems possible that the material was glowing as the result of some slow transformations in the material--think of energy trickling down from state to state until it gets emitted as light. Perhaps your laser caused some steps in the process to speed up, so that the lower levels got suddenly emptied, and the glow couldn't return until the they were refilled by the trickles from above.

-Material: glow in dark surface
-Color: green
-yes it was permanent
-the next day nothing happened since it stayed in the dark and thus wasn't charged by a short wavelength

By "material" I meant, what were you shining the laser on? Wood, painted metal, stone, cloth? Etc.?

If you leave the material in its normal state for a day or so, does it start glowing again the way it did at first?

-Phosphorescent T-shirt
-again: it stops glowing if it's not recharged through a shorter wavelength than green.

To answer your original question: Yes I'm pretty sure there is a scientific explanation. But I'm not the best person to give it.

I think my original guess is reasonable: the tee shirt contains a phosphorescent dye that absorbs short-wavelength light and re-emits it slowly at longer wavelengths. (Phosphorescent is in fact a technical term referring to a type of luminescence that can be very slow.) Somehow the laser short-circuits this emission (I can't be specific about how, but it seems credible) causing all the stored-up energy to be released; and the phosphorescence stops until the dye is "charged up" again by short-wavelenth light.

Best I can do.

I'm still confused about this:

Daniel Petka said:
The fun fact is that before the laser erases the are, it makes it glow for a short time. You need good goggles to see the glow despite the intense red light.

Please elaborate on this if you can.

Daniel Petka said:

Phosphorescence requires an instable exited state and a metastable intermediate state below it. The glow is charged by lifting the electrons into the exited state and a following electron transition into the metastable state. The charging frequency must be high enough to reach the exited state and it should not interact with the electrons which are already in the metastable state.

With the red laser you have the reversed situation. It has the right energy to release the electrons from the metastable state (forcing them to return to the ground state and emit the energy difference as light) but not enough energy to lift them into the exited state to charge the glow again.

DrStupid said:
With the red laser you have the reversed situation. It has the right energy to release the electrons from the metastable state (forcing them to return to the ground state and emit the energy difference as light) but not enough energy to lift them into the exited state to charge the glow again.

Interesting. Do you have any good references where I can read more on this?

Drakkith said:
Interesting. Do you have any good references where I can read more on this?

Unfortunately not, but maybe you can find references with the keywords "phosphorescence" for the charging process and normal luminescence as well as "photostimulated luminescence" for the erasing process.

1. How does a red laser erase on glow in the dark surfaces?

The red laser is able to erase on glow in the dark surfaces because it emits a specific wavelength of light that is able to break down the phosphorescent material in the surface. This causes the glow in the dark material to lose its ability to emit light, essentially erasing it.

2. Can any type of red laser be used to erase on glow in the dark surfaces?

No, not all red lasers are capable of erasing on glow in the dark surfaces. The laser must emit a specific wavelength of light that is able to break down the phosphorescent material. It is important to use a laser with the correct wavelength for optimal results.

3. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using a red laser to erase on glow in the dark surfaces?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a red laser to erase on glow in the dark surfaces. This may include wearing protective eyewear and ensuring that the laser is not pointed at anyone or anything other than the surface being erased.

4. Can red laser erasing on glow in the dark surfaces cause any damage?

In general, red laser erasing on glow in the dark surfaces does not cause any damage. However, if the laser is used for extended periods of time or at a high intensity, it may cause some minor damage to the surface. It is important to use the laser carefully and in moderation.

5. How long does it take for a red laser to completely erase a glow in the dark surface?

The amount of time it takes for a red laser to erase a glow in the dark surface will vary depending on the intensity of the laser, the type of surface, and the amount of phosphorescent material present. In general, it should only take a few seconds to see noticeable results.