Balancing Redox Reactions: CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

In summary, a redox reaction is a transfer of electrons between reactants resulting in oxidation and reduction. To balance a redox reaction, identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions, balance atoms, and multiply one or both half-reactions by a factor to equalize the number of electrons. The oxidation state of CH4 in the reaction CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O is -4. The oxidation state of an element in a molecule is determined by rules based on electronegativity and bonding, with the sum of the states equaling the overall charge of the molecule. Balancing redox reactions is important to conserve mass and accurately determine quantities of reactants and products.
tica86
a. CH4(g) + 2O2(g) ----------> CO2(g) + 2H2O(g)

I need to determine which is reduced and which is oxidized, I already know that C in methane is Oxidized. O2 is reduced but how can you determine that?? I know it has to do with electron transfer but I just don't see it

Physics news on Phys.org
Assign oxidation numbers to all atoms.

What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between reactants, resulting in the oxidation and reduction of species.

How do you balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you must first identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions. Then, balance the atoms in each half-reaction by adding coefficients as needed. Finally, balance the electrons by multiplying one or both half-reactions by a factor that will make the number of electrons equal.

What is the oxidation state of CH4 in the reaction CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O?

The oxidation state of CH4 is -4.

How do you determine the oxidation state of an element in a molecule?

The oxidation state of an element in a molecule is determined by assigning electrons to the atom according to a set of rules, which include the electronegativity of the elements and the number of bonds to other atoms. The sum of the oxidation states in a molecule must equal the overall charge of the molecule.

Why is it important to balance redox reactions?

Balancing redox reactions is important because it ensures that the reaction obeys the law of conservation of mass. It also helps to accurately determine the quantities of reactants and products involved in the reaction.