Solving a Reduction of Order Homework Problem

• Thread starter Sinister
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding a second solution to a differential equation. The given example shows that x^2 is not a solution to the equation, but when used as a general solution and differentiated twice, the last term in the expanded equation becomes zero. This is explained by the fact that the original equation is a homogeneous equation, and the last term must equal zero for a solution to exist.
Sinister

Homework Statement

Hi, i was reviewing some of the material covered this week and I'm wondering if someone can explain a brief step that I'm not quite understanding. The step is once you differentiate your given solution for example twice, then plug it back into the original equation, one of the terms becomes zero. I can't figure out why this is happening if someone can explain that would be apprieated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Take this example:

x2y'' + 2xy' - 6y=0
the given solution is y1= x2 and we must find y2.[/quote]
Well, the fundamental problem is that [itex]x^2[/itex] is NOT a solution to this equation!

If y= x^2, then y'= 2x and y''= 2 so putting that into the equation 2+ 4x^2- 6x^2= 2- 2x^2 which is NOT 0.

Check the equation again. Are you sure it was not [itex]x^2y''+ 2xy'- 6x^2y= 0[/itex]?

I do: y2= x2u(x) and differentiate it twice to plug it back into the original equation.

Once i expand it all i get:

x2y1*u'' + (2x2y1' + 2xy1)u' + (x2y1'' + 2xy1' - 6y1)u=0

According to the book, the last term is zero.
Can someone explain how this happens and how do we know which term is equal to zero? (If there is any)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sinister said:
x2y'' + 2xy' - 6y=0
the given solution is y1= x2 and we must find y2.
Well, the fundamental problem is that [itex]x^2[/itex] is NOT a solution to this equation!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is.

[tex]x^2y^{\prime\prime}+2xy^\prime-6y=2x^2+4x^2-6x^2=0[/tex]

1. What is a reduction of order?

A reduction of order is a method used to solve a second-order linear differential equation by reducing it to a first-order equation. This is done by introducing a new variable and using the original equation to create a new equation that can be solved more easily.

2. How do I know when to use a reduction of order?

A reduction of order can be used when the differential equation is in the form of y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0, where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x.

3. What is the process for solving a reduction of order homework problem?

The first step is to identify the given differential equation and check if it is in the required form. Then, substitute y = uv into the equation and solve for v'. Next, integrate v' to get v and use it to solve for u. Finally, substitute u back into y = uv to get the general solution.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when using a reduction of order?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider. If the equation has a repeated root, the general solution will include a logarithmic term. If the equation has complex roots, the general solution will involve trigonometric functions.

5. Can a reduction of order be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, a reduction of order can only be used for second-order linear differential equations. For non-linear equations, other methods such as separation of variables or substitution may need to be used.