Ref: Safe Site Request:Anaconda and Virtual Box, Please

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for legitimate sources for Anaconda Python and VirtualBox for installation on a computer. The suggested sources are the manufacturer's page for Anaconda Python at continuum.io and the official website for VirtualBox at virtualbox.org.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
After three days cleaning up my computer, having downloaded a funky copy of Anaconda Python, I was hoping to get addresses for Anaconda that are known to be legit and or legit downloads for virtual boxes, so that I can install Anaconda in the box and just shut it down if there is a problem. EDIT: I mean if someone has a link to a specific site for either or both of these that the know is legit/clean.
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Likes WWGD

1. What is Anaconda?

Anaconda is a free and open-source distribution of the Python programming language used for data science and machine learning. It includes over 250 popular data science packages and can be used for both individual projects and enterprise-level data analytics.

2. How is Anaconda different from regular Python?

Anaconda comes with a package manager called Conda, which makes it easier to install and manage data science packages. It also includes popular data science libraries such as NumPy, Pandas, and Jupyter Notebook, which are not included in the regular Python distribution.

3. What is Virtual Box?

Virtual Box is a free and open-source virtualization software that allows you to run multiple operating systems on one computer. It creates a virtual environment, or a "virtual machine," where you can install and run different operating systems, such as Linux, Windows, or macOS.

4. Why do I need Virtual Box to use Anaconda?

Anaconda can be installed and used without Virtual Box, but using Virtual Box allows you to create a separate virtual environment for your data science projects. This helps keep your main operating system clean and organized and prevents any conflicts between different Python versions or packages.

5. Is it safe to use Anaconda and Virtual Box?

Both Anaconda and Virtual Box are widely used and trusted software in the scientific community. As long as you download them from their official websites and keep them updated, they are safe to use. However, it is always a good practice to research and understand the potential risks of any software before downloading and using it.