1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference books for IIT-JEE

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    I'm a Grade 11 student preparing for the IIT-JEE. Can anyone suggest me good reference books for PHYSICS? I looked up H.C. Verma but did not find it appealing at all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    You can look out for the Arihant books for IIT-JEE on Physics.
    Why don't you find H.C. Verma an appealing book?

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    The theory is not up to the mark, and the problems are not that tough.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4
    Yes, i agree that the theory is not up to the mark, but you can't ignore its questions.
    Each question has a little concept behind it.

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    If HC Verma is not upto mark move to IE Irodov.But please note that innocent seeming problems of HC Verma have almost always a very sharp concept behind them.That's why I loved those.One bit of advise:Solving tough problems will not help you as much as building your intuition.And for that HC Verma is indispensable.And there is no place for arrogance in physics.

7. Aug 21, 2011 #6
    You're right, but that can also be done by solving D.C. Pandey's problems or, for that matter, some other good ones too. Why only HCV?

8. Sep 4, 2011 #7
    You don't get it.HC Verma problems are not tough but concept based.At your level it's not the problems you solve rather the concepts you build that are important.Also books that supply a lot of solved examples are invariably killing your intuition and that is why HC Verma and Irodov is suggested.
    By the way what's your definition of a good book?

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8
    A blend of good theory explanation and problems. HRW, and to some extent Zemansky fit into this group.

And obviously Irodov.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  10. Sep 5, 2011 #9
    they are right..i am also preparing for jee(though i am in ten) and in those hardly 5 pages theory and questions of hc verma(if read and solved sincerely) you will find all the concepts which is the key..
    nywyz you can read university physics i found it very attractive

11. Sep 20, 2011 #10
    A good book is something that forces you to think because it can reflect the depth of concepts that are usually in play.That can be through problems or explanations or both.By the way you are right.I personally used Krane for theory and HC Verma-Irodov-assignments for problems.Just avoid those ugly fat guide books with lots of solved problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook