Reflection and Film Problem

In summary: Ah okay, so is my approach correct? And the textbook also notes that if the speed of the first medium is greater than the speed of the second medium, there will also be a phase shift of pi.You had two possibilities for the refractive index. I think you should give both ones.In general, use the formula in Post #6 and take the phase shifts at the boundaries into account.
Callix

Homework Statement

You are designing a thin transparent reflective coating for the front surface of a sheet of glass. The index of refraction of the glass is 1.52 and when it is in use, the coated glass has air on both sides. Because the coating is expensive, you want to use a layer that has the minimum thickness possible, which you determine to be 104nm. What should the index of refraction of the coating be if it must cancel 550nm of light that hits the coated surface at normal incidence?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for constructive interference, the equation is [tex]2d=(m+\frac{1}{2})\frac{\lambda}{n}[/tex]

And for destructive,
[tex]2d=m\frac{\lambda}{n}[/tex]
However I'm not sure what to do with these.. or if these are exactly the equations I need to use. But these are the notes that I have for thin film.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callix said:

Homework Statement

You are designing a thin transparent reflective coating for the front surface of a sheet of glass. The index of refraction of the glass is 1.52 and when it is in use, the coated glass has air on both sides. Because the coating is expensive, you want to use a layer that has the minimum thickness possible, which you determine to be 104nm. What should the index of refraction of the coating be if it must cancel 550nm of light that hits the coated surface at normal incidence?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for constructive interference, the equation is [tex]2d=(m+\frac{1}{2})\frac{\lambda}{n}[/tex]

And for destructive,
[tex]2d=m\frac{\lambda}{n}[/tex]
However I'm not sure what to do with these.. or if these are exactly the equations I need to use. But these are the notes that I have for thin film.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
The coating must cancel the 550 nm wavelength light, so it must be constructive or destructive interference?
The coating layer must be as thin as possible, so what should be m?

ehild said:
The coating must cancel the 550 nm wavelength light, so it must be constructive or destructive interference?
The coating layer must be as thin as possible, so what should be m?

Well, it would be destructive since it needs to cancel light.
m should be at a minimum as well, which would be 1, right?

Callix said:
Well, it would be destructive since it needs to cancel light.
m should be at a minimum as well, which would be 1, right?
Yes, and you know the thickness, so what is the refractive index n?

ehild said:

[tex]n=\frac{550}{2(104)}=2.64[/tex]

ehild said:

Hmm.. I was doing some other research and I found some other equations for thin-film interference..

[tex]\huge \phi=\frac{4\pi n_b t \cos(\theta_i)}{\lambda}+\phi_{r2}-\phi_{r1}[/tex]

Could I make the assumption that since the speed will be greater in air than in the glass that it will experience a pi shift? Therefore, I could simplify the equation to
[tex]1=\frac{\lambda t}{4n_b}[/tex]

I just found a very similar problem in my book except n for the coating was given and they were solving for the necessary thickness to cancel out 500nm of light. Could I proceed similarly?

Last edited:
And since the incidence is normal, cos(0)=1. Well, approximately 0, so cos(~0) = ~1

Callix said:
And since the incidence is normal, cos(0)=1. Well, approximately 0, so cos(~0) = ~1
The refractive index of the coating can be either greater or smaller than the refractive index of glass. At the reflection of the air-coating interface, there is a pi shift. At the interface between the layer and the glass, the phase shift is pi if the refractive index of the coating is less then that of the glass, and no phase shift if it is greater than that of the glass. The phase shift during the path of the wave which reflects from the layer-glass interface is (4π/λ)nd.
You assumed the second case, when the net phase shift between the wave reflected from the air-layer interface and that reflected from the layer-glass interface is (4π/λ)nd-π=π, that is, 2d=λ/n.
In case the layer has refractive index is lower that that of glass, the phase shift between the reflected waves is (4π/λ)nd=π, that is, 4d=λ/n.
If you want the thickness of the antireflecting layer you must know what the refractive index of the layer is. It is usually lower than the refractive index of glass.

ehild said:
The refractive index of the coating can be either greater or smaller than the refractive index of glass. At the reflection of the air-coating interface, there is a pi shift. At the interface between the layer and the glass, the phase shift is pi if the refractive index of the coating is less then that of the glass, and no phase shift if it is greater than that of the glass. The phase shift during the path of the wave which reflects from the layer-glass interface is (4π/λ)nd.
You assumed the second case, when the net phase shift between the wave reflected from the air-layer interface and that reflected from the layer-glass interface is (4π/λ)nd-π=π, that is, 2d=λ/n.
In case the layer has refractive index is lower that that of glass, the phase shift between the reflected waves is (4π/λ)nd=π, that is, 4d=λ/n.
If you want the thickness of the antireflecting layer you must know what the refractive index of the layer is. It is usually lower than the refractive index of glass.

Ah okay, so is my approach correct? And the textbook also notes that if the speed of the first medium is greater than the speed of the second medium, there will also be a phase shift of pi.

You had two possibilities for the refractive index. I think you should give both ones.
In general, use the formula in Post #6 and take the phase shifts at the boundaries into account.

ehild said:
You had two possibilities for the refractive index. I think you should give both ones.
In general, use the formula in Post #6 and take the phase shifts at the boundaries into account.

Ah okay, thank you!

What is reflection?

Reflection is the phenomenon of light bouncing off a surface and changing direction. It occurs when a light ray hits a smooth surface, such as a mirror or still water.

What causes reflection?

Reflection is caused by the properties of light, specifically its ability to travel in straight lines and bounce off smooth surfaces at the same angle it hits them.

What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection occurs when light reflects off a smooth surface at equal angles, resulting in a clear and focused reflection. Diffuse reflection occurs when light reflects off a rough surface at different angles, resulting in a scattered and less focused reflection.

How does reflection impact film production?

Reflection can be controlled and utilized in film production to create desired lighting effects, such as using reflectors to enhance natural light and using diffusers to soften harsh light. Reflection can also be used creatively, such as in the use of mirrors to create multiple angles or reflections within a shot.

What are some common challenges with reflection in film production?

One common challenge with reflection in film production is controlling unwanted reflections, such as from camera lenses or shiny objects. This can be addressed by adjusting lighting and camera angles, or by using anti-reflective coatings on surfaces. Another challenge is achieving consistent reflections between shots, which can be addressed through careful planning and continuity checks.