Vector Reflection Across y=2x: Solving with Rotation and Change of Bases

In summary, when trying to solve for the reflection of the vector, <5,1>, across the line y = 2x, it is helpful to find the matrix that reflects it. However, rotating the axes or changing bases can be difficult to visualize without more information.
fattycakez

Homework Statement

Find the (exact) reflection of the vector v = (5, 1) across the line: y = 2x.
Hint: A sketch of v and the line may suggest an approach.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the matrix
-3/5 6/5
4/5 2/5
which seems like it gives the reflection across y=2x

But my question is: is there way to do this by rotating the axes and changing bases? (I'm pretty sure this is what the assignment is asking me to do)
I'm having a hard time visualizing it since no angle is given to put into the rotation equations for R2
i.e.
x'=xcosθ +ysinθ
y'=-xsinθ+ycosθ

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
fattycakez said:

Homework Statement

Find the (exact) reflection of the vector v = (5, 1) across the line: y = 2x.
Hint: A sketch of v and the line may suggest an approach.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the matrix
-3/5 6/5
4/5 2/5
which seems like it gives the reflection across y=2x

But my question is: is there way to do this by rotating the axes and changing bases? (I'm pretty sure this is what the assignment is asking me to do)
I'm having a hard time visualizing it since no angle is given to put into the rotation equations for R2
i.e.
x'=xcosθ +ysinθ
y'=-xsinθ+ycosθ

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
What angle does the vector, <5, 1>, make with the line y = 2x ?

SammyS said:
What angle does the vector, <5, 1>, make with the line y = 2x ?
Man I'm slow, it makes an angle of 52.125! When I use that and the (5,1) in the rotation equations it looks like its reflecting in the wrong direction
(4th quadrant rather then second quadrant)
The new vector appears to be at a 90 degree angle with y=2x, do I need another rotation or something like that?

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude.

What is reflection of a vector?

Reflection of a vector is the process of changing the direction of a vector while keeping its magnitude the same. This is commonly done by reflecting the vector over a line or plane, such that the angle between the original vector and the reflected vector is equal to the angle between the line or plane and the original vector.

What is the law of reflection for vectors?

The law of reflection for vectors states that when a vector is reflected over a line or plane, the angle between the original vector and the reflected vector is equal to the angle between the line or plane and the original vector. This is similar to the law of reflection for light, where the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

How is reflection of a vector mathematically calculated?

The reflection of a vector can be mathematically calculated using the formula v' = v - 2(v⋅n)n, where v is the original vector, n is the unit normal vector of the reflecting line or plane, and v' is the reflected vector. This formula takes into account the law of reflection for vectors, and can be used for both 2D and 3D vectors.

What are some real-life applications of vector reflection?

Reflection of vectors has many real-life applications, such as in optics where it is used to calculate the path of light rays, in computer graphics and video games to create realistic reflections and shadows, and in physics to study the behavior of waves and particles. It is also used in engineering and navigation to calculate the path of moving objects.