Refractive Index Calculation for Light Passing from Substance X to Substance Y

In summary, the refractive index for light passing from substance X to substance Y is equal to the ratio of their velocities, with the refractive index for substance X being the velocity of light in substance X divided by the velocity of light in vacuum, and the refractive index for substance Y being the velocity of light in substance Y divided by the velocity of light in vacuum. This can be expressed as nx/ny.
disfused_3289

Homework Statement

For substance X, the refractive index is nx. For another substance Y the refractive index ny. Show that the refractive index for light passing from x to y is nx/ ny.

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm finding it difficult to devise a solution, but I think the answer has a relation to the ratio of velocites to and from x and y.

Physics news on Phys.org
So just write down that formula first and let's see where it goes.

refractive index

ny= vx/ vy
nx= vy/vx

ny/nx= 1 ?

The refractive index is veolcity in a perticular medium (i) compared to the veolcity in vacuum

[tex]n_i = c/v_i[/tex]

c is velocity in vacuum

disfused_3289 said:
ny= vx/ vy
nx= vy/vx

ny/nx= 1 ?

You know it's wrong. Use the correct formula as given.

What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a substance can bend light. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in that substance.

How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index is typically measured using a refractometer, which measures how much a light beam is bent as it passes through a substance. The angle of refraction is then used to calculate the refractive index.

What factors affect the refractive index of a substance?

The refractive index of a substance is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the substance. It can also vary depending on the wavelength of light being used.

What is the relationship between refractive index and the speed of light?

The higher the refractive index of a substance, the slower light will travel through it. This is because the speed of light in a substance is inversely proportional to its refractive index.

How is refractive index used in practical applications?

Refractive index is used in a variety of practical applications, such as determining the quality of gemstones, designing lenses for glasses and cameras, and measuring the concentration of substances in solutions. It is also an important parameter in the study of optics and material science.