Refrigerator Too Cold: Wrapping Veggies in a Blanket?

In summary, wrapping vegetables in a kitchen towel and putting them in a Ziploc freezer bag may help to keep them frozen.
Hornbein
My refrigerator is on the minimal setting but still freezes the vegetables a little bit. It didn't do that a week ago. I'm renting and moving out in a few days so I'm not going to do anything drastic. How about wrapping my veggies in a blanket?

I never understood the physics of those compartments for butter. I guess they work because they are next to the wall, from which outside heat penetrates. So a blanket wouldn't make any difference. Or would it?

Physics news on Phys.org
My parents fridge has had the same issue. With the amount of food lost they could have bought a new one at this. Instead they put veggies and fruit in the wine fridge.

Dry your veggies as best you can, wrap them in a kitchen towel, and secure them in a Ziploc freezer bag. That might work.

I would place the vegetables inside partially inflated sealed plastic bags.

Lnewqban said:
I would place the vegetables inside partially inflated sealed plastic bags.
I could be wrong on this, but isn't it best to remove all air?

Mondayman said:
I could be wrong on this, but isn't it best to remove all air?
Air is a very good thermal insulator.
Most insulating material keep many tiny pockets of air trapped for that reason.

You could try blocking or partially blocking the air flow into the refrigerator. Our refrigerator did this on its own recently due to a defrost system failure and consequent ice build up in the airflow path. The refrigerator basically stopped cooling completely even though the freezer was nice and cold. I imagine you could just duct tape over the place or places the air comes into refrigerator. Or something caveman like that.

Turning up the freezer temperature might help as well. But I'm just guessing. If I knew more I wouldn't have spent that $250 on a repair.

Lnewqban said:
Air is a very good thermal insulator.
Most insulating material keep many tiny pockets of air trapped for that reason.
I meant more for the food itself. Oxygen will speed up how fast it turns bad.

Likes Lnewqban

1. Why would wrapping veggies in a blanket help with a refrigerator that is too cold?

Wrapping veggies in a blanket can help regulate the temperature inside the refrigerator by providing an extra layer of insulation. This can help prevent the cold air from the refrigerator from directly affecting the vegetables, keeping them at a more ideal temperature.

2. How do I know if my refrigerator is too cold?

A refrigerator that is too cold can have a few tell-tale signs. These include frozen or partially frozen foods, condensation on the inside of the fridge, or a temperature below 38 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also use a refrigerator thermometer to get an accurate reading of the temperature.

3. Can wrapping veggies in a blanket affect the temperature of other items in the refrigerator?

Yes, wrapping veggies in a blanket can affect the temperature of other items in the refrigerator. It is important to make sure the blanket is not covering the air vents or blocking the circulation of air. This can cause the temperature to rise in other areas of the fridge.

4. How long should I leave the veggies wrapped in a blanket?

The length of time you leave the veggies wrapped in a blanket will depend on the temperature of your refrigerator and the type of vegetables. It is recommended to check on them after a few hours and adjust as needed. Leafy greens may need to be re-wrapped more frequently than root vegetables.

5. Are there any other methods to regulate the temperature in a refrigerator that is too cold?

Yes, there are other methods to regulate the temperature in a refrigerator that is too cold. These include adjusting the temperature settings, rearranging items in the fridge to allow for better air circulation, or using a refrigerator thermometer to monitor and adjust the temperature as needed.