Regarding the Electric Potential Formula

In summary, the electric potential formula accounts for the point source charge Q at any distance r from it, where the electric potential is given by k*(Q/r). The size of the charge does not affect the electric potential, as it is defined as "energy per charge." This concept is similar to gravitational potential, which is independent of mass. When finding the change in gravitational potential energy, the choice of PE=0 position is arbitrary, as it will always reduce to the final position becoming the PE=0 position. The point charge in the formula is meant to be a small "test charge" in comparison to Q.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

The formula for Electric Potential as I have it is: "Let Q be a point source charge. At any point P that's a distance r from Q, we say that the electric potential at P is the scalar given by this formula:

electric potential = k * (Q/r)

My question is what if at some distance r from Q, the charge is very large. Wouldn't that then affect the electric potential. In other words how can this electric potential formula not take into account both charges and only takes into account Q which is the source charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just because elecitric potential is "energy per charge" and so is independent of the size of the charge (although the energy and force will vary at that same distance depending on the charge)

It's very much like "gravitational potential" (not to be confused with "gravitational potential energy") which is independent of the mass of the object simply because it's defined as "energy per mass"

So if it is independent of the size of the charge then how it is useful in solving problems to determine the change in electrical potential energy?

Actually I am recalling from gravitation potential energy that you will get different values for PE depending on where you set PEgrav = 0 at. But if you try to find the change in gravitational potential energy that will be the same no matter where you set PEgrav = 0 at. Does the same idea apply here in the sense that if you find the change in gravitational potential energy it doesn't matter what you set as Q, the source charge or what q, the secondary charge is?

needingtoknow said:
So if it is independent of the size of the charge then how it is useful in solving problems to determine the change in electrical potential energy?

I'm probably not the best person to give a good example. But to me this seems like asking, "why is it useful to say 'g=9.8' for solving problems if that doesn't give the force on an object?"

It's more for when you are interested in a certain position, irrespective of the charge (or mass) in it.
(I'm sorry :smile: I'm sure there are much better explanations)

needingtoknow said:
But if you try to find the change in gravitational potential energy that will be the same no matter where you set PEgrav = 0 at.

This is only because when you find the "change" in gravitational potential energy, a final and initial position are implied. So you could pick any random PE=0 position, but it will always reduce to the "final position" becoming the PE=0 position
(simply because the PE that they have in common (relative to your PE=0 position) is irrelevant, and "cancels out")

The point charge is supposed to be a "test charge" that is very small compared to Q.

Chet

FAQ: Regarding the Electric Potential Formula

1. What is the electric potential formula?

The electric potential formula, also known as the voltage formula, is used to calculate the electric potential at a certain point in an electric field. It is represented by the equation V= kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the source of the electric field.

2. How is the electric potential formula derived?

The electric potential formula is derived from the equation for electric potential energy, which is U = kQq/r. By dividing both sides of the equation by q, we get the formula for electric potential, V = kQ/r. This formula is based on the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). This unit is derived from the formula V = W/Q, where V represents voltage, W represents electric potential energy, and Q represents charge. One volt is equal to one joule per coulomb.

4. Can the electric potential formula be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, the electric potential formula can be used for both positive and negative charges. However, the sign of the charge must be taken into account when calculating the electric potential. Positive charges will result in a positive electric potential, while negative charges will result in a negative electric potential.

5. How is the electric potential formula used in practical applications?

The electric potential formula is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the voltage in a circuit, determining the strength of electric fields, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It is also used in the design and operation of electronic devices, power grids, and other electrical systems.

Back