1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates again ?

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    Related Rates.. again......?

A swimming pool is 50 feet long and 20 feet wide. Its depth varies uniformly from 2 feet at the shallow end to 12 feet at the deep end. (The figure shows a cross-section of the pool.) Suppose that the pool is being filled at the rate of 1000 gal/min. At what rate is the depth of water at the deep end increasing when the depth there is 6 feet? (One gallon of water occupies a volume of approximately 0.1337 cubic feet.)

So first of all, I can't even picture what this is supposed to look like when I draw it. Supposedly this is a related rates problem, but this doesn't go with any of the equations I've used so far (pretty much just volume equation and pythagorean theorem equation).. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, could anyone at least help me get started or walk me through? I'd appreciate it..

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2
    Just to get you started, the shape of the swimming pool is similar to a wedge or a triangular block with a cuboidal top . How can you find the volume of this block given the dimensions ?
    Hint:Find the area of the triangular and rectangular cross sections of the pool.

Arun

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?