Related Rates Calculus: Solving a Challenging Problem with Ladders and Slopes

In summary: In part A, he is asked to find the rate at which the top of the ladder is moving downward when its foot is 12 ft from the house and moving away at a rate of 2 ft/sec. This is solved easily using the Pythagorean theorem. In part B, he is asked to find the rate at which the slope of the ladder is decreasing. Alex sets up the problem using a triangle with base x, height y, and hypotenuse 20. He knows that dx/dt = 2 ft/sec and solves for dy/dt, which is correct. However, when he tries to find the second derivative, he gets the
EbolaPox
I'm in AP Calculus BC and I've had no trouble with any of Calc I or II (I self studied it all previously), but this one related rates problem that seemed relatively simple got me.
(This is also in the Schaum's Outline Calculus book if anyone has that. My teacher gave it to us on a worksheet of practice problems)

Problem:
A ladder 20 ft long leans against a house. Find the rate at which A: the top of the ladder is moving downward if its foot is 12 ft from the house and moving away at a rate of 2 ft/sec. B: The slope of the ladder decreases.

Part A is incredibly easy. Part B is where I'm having trouble. I drew my triangle with a base of x and a height of y and a hypotenuse of 20. I know dx/dt = 2 ft/sec. I solved that dy/dt = 3/2 ft/sec, which is correct (I have the answers also.)
Here is my work so far.

x^2 + y^2 = 20^2
Derive for rates of change
2x(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt) = 0
x(dx/dt) = -y(dy/dt)

I then thought "Dy/dx would be the slope of the ladder. Part B wants the rate of change of the slope, so it wants the second derivative."
So, I said -x/y = dy/dx.

I took the derivative of that and got
-(y(dx/dt) - x(dy/dt))/y^2 = Second derivative.
I put in values I had (x = 12 and y =16).

-(16*2) - (12(3/2))/(16^2) . This gave me -14/256. The correct answer is -25/72.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Note: i got the answer if I said dy/dx = -y/x, but that's not true. I was just playing around with it and found that to be correct.)

Physics news on Phys.org
EbolaPox said:
I'm in AP Calculus BC and I've had no trouble with any of Calc I or II (I self studied it all previously), but this one related rates problem that seemed relatively simple got me.
(This is also in the Schaum's Outline Calculus book if anyone has that. My teacher gave it to us on a worksheet of practice problems)

Problem:
A ladder 20 ft long leans against a house. Find the rate at which A: the top of the ladder is moving downward if its foot is 12 ft from the house and moving away at a rate of 2 ft/sec. B: The slope of the ladder decreases.

Part A is incredibly easy. Part B is where I'm having trouble. I drew my triangle with a base of x and a height of y and a hypotenuse of 20. I know dx/dt = 2 ft/sec. I solved that dy/dt = 3/2 ft/sec, which is correct (I have the answers also.)
Here is my work so far.

x^2 + y^2 = 20^2
Derive for rates of change
2x(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt) = 0
x(dx/dt) = -y(dy/dt)

I then thought "Dy/dx would be the slope of the ladder. Part B wants the rate of change of the slope, so it wants the second derivative."
So, I said -x/y = dy/dx.

I took the derivative of that and got
-(y(dx/dt) - x(dy/dt))/y^2 = Second derivative.
I put in values I had (x = 12 and y =16).

-(16*2) - (12(3/2))/(16^2) . This gave me -14/256. The correct answer is -25/72.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Note: i got the answer if I said dy/dx = -y/x, but that's not true. I was just playing around with it and found that to be correct.)

You know that the slope is:

[tex]m=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{\sqrt{400-x^2}}{x}[/tex]

so differentiate with respect to x...

[tex]\frac{dm}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dm}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

you know that dx/dt=2. Do you see why this gives you the answer?

Alex

Last edited:

What is the concept of related rates in calculus?

The concept of related rates in calculus involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This is typically done by using the chain rule and differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to time.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include calculating the rate at which the radius of a circle is changing when its circumference is changing, determining the speed at which the shadow of a building is moving when the length of the shadow is changing, and finding the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing when the radius of the balloon is changing.

How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you must first identify the variables involved and the rate at which they are changing. Then, you must find an equation that relates these variables and use the chain rule to differentiate with respect to time. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown rate.

What are some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems include not properly setting up the equation, not correctly differentiating with the chain rule, and not carefully keeping track of units. It is also important to pay attention to which variables are constant and which are changing.

What real-life applications use related rates in calculus?

Related rates in calculus are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, in engineering to design and optimize structures, and in economics to analyze changes in supply and demand. It is also used in fields such as medicine, biology, and chemistry to model and understand dynamic processes.