1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates help please!

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    Related Rates!! help please!

A and B are walking on straight paths that meet at right angles. A approaches at 2m/sec; B moves away from the intersection at 1m/sec. At what rate is the angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] changing when A is 10m from the intersection and B is 20m from the intersection. Ans in degrees per second.

attempted solving the question using tan ratio where:
    tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] (t)= A/B= (10-2t)/(20+t)

I know i have to take the derivative of this equation in order to get d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
    /dt, but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just do it. Differentiate tan(theta(t)) and don't forget the chain rule. The chain rule gives you the dtheta(t)/dt part.

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    thx for you response. ok, so

sec^2(theta) (d(theta)/dt)= (B(dA/dt)-A(db/dt))/B^2

where A=10-2t and B=20+t

if i'm doing this right, then how would i solve for t?

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way you've set it up, t=0, yes? All you need is theta and A and B.

6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

t is "when A is 10m from the intersection and B is 20m from the intersection." As Dick sad, since you cleverly used 10-2t and 20+t as the lengths of the sides, A= 10 and B= 20 when t= 0.

7. Nov 6, 2007 #6
    hey, thought i would do this question randomly for some exam study, heres how i did it (not sure if its right, hopefully is though, lol).

EDIT: sry stuffed up my working, here new working

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?