How to Solve Related Rates for A and B Walking on Straight Paths

In summary, the problem involves two people, A and B, walking on straight paths that meet at right angles. They are both moving at different rates, with A approaching the intersection at 2m/sec and B moving away from it at 1m/sec. The question asks for the rate at which the angle between their paths, represented by \vartheta, is changing when A is 10m from the intersection and B is 20m from the intersection. To solve this, we can use the tangent ratio and take the derivative of the equation with respect to time, using the chain rule. Plugging in the given values of A and B, we can solve for t and then use that value to find the rate at which
jen333
Related Rates! help please!

A and B are walking on straight paths that meet at right angles. A approaches at 2m/sec; B moves away from the intersection at 1m/sec. At what rate is the angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] changing when A is 10m from the intersection and B is 20m from the intersection. Ans in degrees per second.

attempted solving the question using tan ratio where:
tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] (t)= A/B= (10-2t)/(20+t)

I know i have to take the derivative of this equation in order to get d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
/dt, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do it. Differentiate tan(theta(t)) and don't forget the chain rule. The chain rule gives you the dtheta(t)/dt part.

thx for you response. ok, so

sec^2(theta) (d(theta)/dt)= (B(dA/dt)-A(db/dt))/B^2

where A=10-2t and B=20+t

if I'm doing this right, then how would i solve for t?

The way you've set it up, t=0, yes? All you need is theta and A and B.

t is "when A is 10m from the intersection and B is 20m from the intersection." As Dick sad, since you cleverly used 10-2t and 20+t as the lengths of the sides, A= 10 and B= 20 when t= 0.

hey, thought i would do this question randomly for some exam study, here's how i did it (not sure if its right, hopefully is though, lol).

EDIT: sry stuffed up my working, here new working

Attachments

• random phys forum question[EDIT].gif
    random phys forum question[EDIT].gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Related to How to Solve Related Rates for A and B Walking on Straight Paths

What is "Related Rates" and why is it important?

"Related Rates" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the relationships between different variables and how they change over time.

How do you set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you first need to identify the variables involved and determine which ones are changing with respect to time. Then, you can use the given information and the chain rule to write an equation that relates the rates of change of these variables.

What is the chain rule and how is it used in related rates problems?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In related rates problems, the chain rule is used to find the rate of change of a variable that is dependent on another variable that is also changing.

How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you can use the equation that you set up and differentiate it with respect to time. Then, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include not properly identifying the variables involved, not using the chain rule correctly, and not paying attention to the units of measurement. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.