Related rates maxium voulme of cylinder

In summary: You know, i hate it when this happens.:rofl: I can't do your homework, but i can i try to guide you closer to the solution. This should simplify what LCKurtz already told you:First, you deduce the correct expressions for volume and total area. Those are fundamental steps. You need to equate the formula for the area with the value given in your problem itself. Then you need to use substitution into the volume, as you're trying to find the volume. That should be simple enough.Now, here is the interesting part... What do you do when you need to find the maximum value of a variable which is dependent upon another variable? (i hope that i am phr
taco
If 1200∏ cm^2 of material is available to make a cylindrical can with a circular base an open top, find the largest possible volume of the can.

the formulas i used:
v=∏* r^2 * h
surface area = 2∏r^2 + 2rh

my attempt:
1200=r^2h∏
h=1200/r^2∏

SA=2∏r^2+2∏r(1200/∏r^2)
=2∏r^2+ 2(1200/r)
S`(A)=4∏r-1200/r^2

and i don't know where to go from here, assuming i did this correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
taco said:
If 1200∏ cm^2 of material is available to make a cylindrical can with a circular base an open top, find the largest possible volume of the can.

the formulas i used:
v=∏* r^2 * h
surface area = 2∏r^2 + 2rh

"Open top" means no top. You have included both a top and bottom. Also your lateral area is wrong. It would be circumference times height.

my attempt:
1200=r^2h∏
h=1200/r^2∏

SA=2∏r^2+2∏r(1200/∏r^2)
=2∏r^2+ 2(1200/r)
S`(A)=4∏r-1200/r^2

and i don't know where to go from here, assuming i did this correctly

You didn't. Why did you set the volume equal to ##1200##?

i thought the total material would be 1200, so how would i go about this problem?

taco said:
i thought the total material would be 1200, so how would i go about this problem?

It gave you ##1200\pi## sq. cm. of metal, not ##1200##. And ##cm^2## is an area, not a volume. So start by setting the [correct] surface area equal to ##1200\pi## and maximize the volume, which is what the problem asks for, after all.

So the correct formula would be
1200pi=2*pi*r^2+pi*r*h
but because it is an open top it would be
1200pi=pi*r^2+pi*r*h
and were trying to maximize the volume, v=pi*r^2*h
h=1200pi/(pi*r^2+pi*r)

v=pi*r^2*((1200pi/(pi*r^2+pi*r))
am i on the right track now?

taco said:
So the correct formula would be
1200pi=2*pi*r^2+pi*r*h
but because it is an open top it would be
1200pi=pi*r^2+pi*r*h
and were trying to maximize the volume, v=pi*r^2*h
h=1200pi/(pi*r^2+pi*r)

v=pi*r^2*((1200pi/(pi*r^2+pi*r))
am i on the right track now?

Yes, but you still don't have the correct formula for the lateral area (circumference times height) and your algebra solving for h to substitute is bad. Once you fix those you will have V as a function of r to maximize using usual calculus methods.

The total area of an open top cylinder = area of the bottom circle + area of the curved side.
Your error lies with finding the second part (the area of the curved section).
The formula for the volume is correct.

Using substitution to solve for V, your answer should be in terms of r.

oh okay, thank you

The answer should be: [itex]8000\pi\,cm^3[/itex]

sharks is it possible if you show me your steps?

taco said:
You know, i hate it when this happens.:rofl: I can't do your homework, but i can i try to guide you closer to the solution. This should simplify what LCKurtz already told you:

First, you deduce the correct expressions for volume and total area. Those are fundamental steps. You need to equate the formula for the area with the value given in your problem itself. Then you need to use substitution into the volume, as you're trying to find the volume. That should be simple enough.

Now, here is the interesting part... What do you do when you need to find the maximum value of a variable which is dependent upon another variable? (i hope that i am phrasing this idea correctly here). Imagine a graph of V against the expression in terms of r, where the graph peaks at some point to give you the maximum volume. How would you find the maximum value of V based on the expression in terms of r? In other words, you need to find the value of r which corresponds to the maximum value of V.

alright thanks sharks and lckurtz, ill try my best

Hint: Find the stationary point, hence find the stationary value.

taco said:
From the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380)
Homework Help:
<snip>

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

sorry about that mark, just that I am very confused at this

For a graph of V against r, how do you find the maximum point?

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the maximum volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where π is a constant (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How does the maximum volume of a cylinder change when the radius and height are varied?

The maximum volume of a cylinder increases as the radius and height increase. This is because both of these variables directly affect the volume of the cylinder. The larger the radius and height, the larger the volume will be.

3. What is the relationship between the maximum volume of a cylinder and its surface area?

The maximum volume of a cylinder and its surface area are indirectly related. This means that as the volume increases, the surface area also increases, but not at the same rate. The surface area increases at a slower rate compared to the volume.

4. How can the maximum volume of a cylinder be used in real-life applications?

The maximum volume of a cylinder is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the capacity of water tanks, determining the amount of paint needed to cover a cylindrical surface, and designing packaging for cylindrical products.

5. Can the maximum volume of a cylinder be calculated if only one variable is known?

Yes, the maximum volume of a cylinder can be calculated if only one variable is known. This can be done by rearranging the formula V = πr2h to solve for the unknown variable. However, it is easier to calculate the maximum volume when both the radius and height are known.