Relating Motor Torque to Vehicle Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to relate the electrical motor torque to a vehicle's motion using Newton's Laws. The forces acting on a moving vehicle include gravity, normal force, rolling resistance, and the force applied by the motor. There is also a question about how to represent friction on the Free Body Diagram when the wheel is rolling without slipping. Finally, the conversation mentions the use of Newton's Equations of Motion to relate the motor's torque to the applied force of the vehicle.
hp-p00nst3r
This is more of a curiosity question rather than a homework question, and it has to do with how to relate the electrical motor torque to a vehicle's motion using Newton's Laws.

Now for a vehicle (say RC car) moving forward in a straight line, the forces that are acting on it are the gravitational and normal forces, along with the rolling resistance and the force applied due to the rotation of the electrical motor.

I can easily write the equation of motion here in this case where it's just the
applied force - friction force = mass * accel

However, another problem arises when I construct an FBD for the car's wheel. In the case for rolling without slipping, it is the friction force that causes the wheel to roll forward, but when rolling resistance is not negligible, I am not sure how that is shown on the FBD. There is also the motor torque now present in the problem.

All I'm trying to do is relate the motor's torque to the applied force of the vehicle, and the approach I've taken is with the use of Newton's Equations of Motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to account for the friction the wheel experiences as it spins around the car's axle. In which case, this is simply the torque produced by the friction in the opposite direction of the torque applied by the motor.

What about if the wheel was rolling WITH slipping? How would the friction force in the slip be modeled in the FBD? I'm not even sure if that is even a reasonable assumption. Pretty much everything that I've learned about rotating bodies in terms of friction has had to do with rolling with slip.

1. What is motor torque?

Motor torque is the measure of the rotational force or twisting force that a motor can produce. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How does motor torque relate to vehicle motion?

Motor torque is one of the key factors that affects the acceleration and speed of a vehicle. The higher the motor torque, the greater the force applied to the wheels, resulting in faster acceleration and higher top speed.

3. What is the relationship between motor torque and gear ratio?

The gear ratio of a vehicle's transmission system determines the amount of torque that is transferred from the motor to the wheels. A lower gear ratio results in higher torque, while a higher gear ratio results in lower torque but higher speed.

4. How does vehicle weight affect the relationship between motor torque and motion?

The weight of a vehicle can impact how much force is needed to accelerate it. Generally, a heavier vehicle will require more motor torque to achieve the same level of acceleration as a lighter vehicle. However, other factors such as aerodynamics and tire traction also play a role.

5. Can motor torque be increased to improve vehicle performance?

Yes, motor torque can be increased through various methods such as modifying the motor's design or using a higher gear ratio. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the vehicle's other components, such as the tires and suspension, to ensure safe and efficient performance.