Relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm

In summary, the relationship between arctanh and log is that arctanh(x) is equal to half of the log of (1+x)/(1-x). However, when x is greater than 1, arctanh(x) can also be expressed as half of the log of ((1+x)/(1-x))^2 plus i*pi/2. This is due to the complex nature of the logarithm function.
sara_87

Homework Statement

The relationship between arctanh and log is:

arctanh(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}log(\frac{1+x}{1-x})[/itex]
but if i take x=1.5,
I have:
arctanh(1.5)=0.8047 + 1.5708i
and
[itex]\frac{1}{2}log(\frac{1+1.5}{1-1.5})[/itex]=0.8047 + 1.5708i
as expected, but using the laws of logarithm, why does this not equal to:
[itex](\frac{1}{2})\frac{1}{2}log((\frac{1+1.5}{1-1.5})^2)[/itex]=0.8047
?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sara_87! :smile:

You have applied the log to a negative number yielding a complex number.
So implicitly you have used the complex logarithm instead of the regular logarithm.

The complex logarithm happens to be a multivalued function:
[tex]\log re^{i\phi} = \log r + i (\phi + 2k\pi)[/tex]

This means you have to consider the other solutions.
By taking the square you introduce a new solution.

In your example there is another solution, which is the right one:
[tex](\frac{1}{2})\frac{1}{2}log((\frac{1+1.5}{1-1.5})^2) = (\frac{1}{2})\frac{1}{2}(\log 25 + i 2\pi)=\frac{1}{2}\log 5 + i \frac \pi 2[/tex]

thank you :)

so, in general, can i say that if x is less than 1,

[itex]arctanh(x)=\frac{1}{2}*log(\frac{1+x}{1-x})=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}log((\frac{1+x}{1-x})^2)[/itex]

if x is more than 1, then

[itex]arctanh(x)=\frac{1}{2}*log(\frac{1+x}{1-x})=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}log((\frac{1+x}{1-x})^2)+i*pi/2[/itex]

Yes.

Thanks again :)

1. What is the relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm?

The hyperbolic arctan function (arctanh) is the inverse hyperbolic tangent function, and it is closely related to the natural logarithm. Specifically, the arctanh function can be expressed in terms of the logarithm as arctanh(x) = (1/2)ln[(1+x)/(1-x)].

2. How are hyperbolic arctan and logarithm used in mathematics?

Both the hyperbolic arctan and logarithm functions are widely used in mathematics. The arctanh function is used to solve problems involving hyperbolic functions, while the logarithm function is used to solve exponential equations and calculate logarithmic growth or decay.

3. Can the relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm be graphically represented?

Yes, the relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm can be represented graphically. The graph of the arctanh function is a curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches -1 or 1. The graph of the logarithm function is a curve that approaches the y-axis as x approaches 0.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of the relationship between hyperbolic arctan and logarithm. For example, they are used in statistics to calculate the odds ratio and in engineering to find the stability of control systems. They are also used in physics to solve problems involving energy and oscillations.

5. Is there a limit to the values that can be inputted into the hyperbolic arctan and logarithm functions?

Yes, there are limits to the values that can be used as input for the hyperbolic arctan and logarithm functions. The arctanh function is only defined for values between -1 and 1, while the logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers. Attempting to use values outside of these limits will result in an undefined output.