Relationship between molarity & concentration?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the estimated molarity of unknown substances using a calibration curve and the relationship between concentration and molarity. The speaker has used 10 mL of each unknown solution and calculated the density to estimate the concentration. However, they are confused about how to find the molarity and whether molarity and concentration are the same thing. Borek advises them to check out lectures on concentration and clarifies that molarity is a type of concentration. The speaker then explains that their calibration curve was made using standard solutions of fructose in distilled water and they are unsure about the type of concentration used. Borek suggests that the concentration measured from the calibration curve is molar concentration.
confusedbyphysics
Hello! In my chemistry lab we did an experiment where the purpose was to find the estimated concentration of sugar in unknown solutions. We used 10 mL of each solution, and I determined the mass of the solution of each unknown. From there I calculated the density (mass over volume). Using that I figured out an estimated concentration using a calibration curve. Now I need to find out the estimated molarity. I am confused about the relationship between concentration and molarity. How do I figure out the molarity of the unknown substances? I know 1 mol of sugar = 180.16 g, but I do not know where to go from there. Are molarity and concentration the same thing?

Could someone clue me in on how to determine the molarity? I would be so grateful, thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Molarity is a kind of concentration. You don't state what kind of concentration you have measured - probably weight percentage.

Check out these concentration lectures.

Hello Borek and thank you for the reply!

The calibration curve I used to estimate the concentration of the unknown solutions was made through making five standard solutions (1.0 M, .75 M, .50 M, .25 M, .10 M) of fructose in distilled water. I made the solutions by making a 100 mL stock solution, and then used that to make the varies solutions in a 10 mL tube. Then I found out density and made my calibration curve, where concentration is the x-axis and density is the y axis. I am not sure what kind of concentration this would be! (my teacher has not even told me there are various forms of concentration!)

If calibration curve was prepared with solutions of known molar concentrations, what you have read from your curve is molar concentration.

1. How is molarity different from concentration?

Molarity is a measure of the number of moles of a solute dissolved in a specific volume of a solution, while concentration is a general term that can refer to various measures of the amount of solute in a given amount of solvent or solution. Molarity specifically measures the concentration of a solution in terms of the number of moles of solute per liter of solution.

2. What is the relationship between molarity and concentration?

The relationship between molarity and concentration is that molarity is a specific type of concentration measurement. Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters, while other types of concentration measurements may use different units or different calculations.

3. How do you convert between molarity and other concentration units?

To convert between molarity and other concentration units, you will need to know the molar mass of the solute and the volume of the solution. From there, you can use conversion factors to convert between moles and the desired unit of concentration, such as grams per liter or percent by mass.

4. Can molarity and concentration be the same value?

Yes, molarity and concentration can have the same value if the concentration is measured in terms of moles per liter. In this case, the concentration is equivalent to the molarity of the solution.

5. How does temperature affect the relationship between molarity and concentration?

Temperature can affect the relationship between molarity and concentration in a few ways. First, changes in temperature can affect the volume of the solution, which in turn can change the molarity. Additionally, temperature changes can also affect the solubility of the solute, which can impact the concentration of the solution. It is important to control for temperature when performing experiments involving molarity and concentration measurements.