Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between molarity & concentration?

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Hello! In my chemistry lab we did an experiment where the purpose was to find the estimated concentration of sugar in unknown solutions. We used 10 mL of each solution, and I determined the mass of the solution of each unknown. From there I calculated the density (mass over volume). Using that I figured out an estimated concentration using a calibration curve. Now I need to find out the estimated molarity. I am confused about the relationship between concentration and molarity. How do I figure out the molarity of the unknown substances? I know 1 mol of sugar = 180.16 g, but I do not know where to go from there. Are molarity and concentration the same thing???

Could someone clue me in on how to determine the molarity? I would be so grateful, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Molarity is a kind of concentration. You don't state what kind of concentration you have measured - probably weight percentage.

Check out these concentration lectures.

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    Hello Borek and thank you for the reply!

The calibration curve I used to estimate the concentration of the unknown solutions was made through making five standard solutions (1.0 M, .75 M, .50 M, .25 M, .10 M) of fructose in distilled water. I made the solutions by making a 100 mL stock solution, and then used that to make the varies solutions in a 10 mL tube. Then I found out density and made my calibration curve, where concentration is the x axis and density is the y axis. I am not sure what kind of concentration this would be! (my teacher has not even told me there are various forms of concentration!)

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If calibration curve was prepared with solutions of known molar concentrations, what you have read from your curve is molar concentration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?