Panda"Understand Relationship between Stress-Energy Tensor and Interval

In summary: Thank you very much for your help!In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the relationship between the stress-energy tensor and a matrix representing a quadratic form in 4D, specifically the interval formula. The formula is general and applies to any symmetric 4x4 matrix, including the stress-energy tensor in GR. There may be a deeper connection between the two, but this is not known. The formula is also known as the 1+3 block decomposition and is used in linear algebra.
HeavyMetal
Hello all,

I have a homework question that I am almost 100% sure that I solved, so I do not believe that this post should go into the "Homework Questions" section. This thread does not have to do with the answer to that homework question anyways, but rather a curiosity about whether or not this formulation is related -- in some way -- to the stress-energy tensor.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Please let me know if this is improper.

The question, taken from "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard F. Schutz, asks us to derive equation 1.3 from equation 1.2.

1.2: [itex]\qquad \Delta \overline{s}^{\,2} = \sum_{\alpha=0}^3 \sum_{\beta=0}^3 M_{\alpha \beta} (\Delta x^\alpha) (\Delta x^\beta)[/itex]
1.3: [itex]\qquad \Delta \overline{s}^{\,2} = M_{00} (\Delta r)^2 + 2(\sum_{i=1}^3 M_{0i} \Delta x^i) \Delta r + \sum_{i=1}^3 \sum_{j=1}^3 M_{ij} \Delta x^i \Delta x^j[/itex]
where [itex]\qquad \Delta r = \sqrt{(\Delta x)^2 + (\Delta y)^2 + (\Delta z)^2} \qquad[/itex] and [itex]\qquad \Delta r = \Delta t[/itex]

My answer described this matrix:

[tex]
\bеgin{vmatrix}
t^2 & tx & ty & tz\\
xt & x^2 & xy & xz\\
yt & yx & y^2 & yz\\
zt & zx & zy & z^2
\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]

I explained it in three terms, each explaining separate parts of the matrix:

[tex]
\bеgin{vmatrix}
(t^2) & (tx & ty & tz)\\
\\
\begin{pmatrix}
xt\\
yt\\
zt\\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
x^2 & xy & xz\\
yx & y^2 & yz\\
zx & zy & z^2
\end{pmatrix}
\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]

Entry 00 is represented by [itex]M_{00} (\Delta r)^2[/itex]; because there are two time entries, we observe two delta r terms. Entries 01, 02 and 03 are the transpose of entries 10, 20 and 30, and so they were just repeated with a two multiplying out front of that entire term. This was represented by [itex]2(\sum_{i=1}^3 M_{0i} \Delta x^i) \Delta r[/itex]; because these terms can be factored into t(xyz), there is a delta r for each. The remaining entries are represented by [itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 \sum_{j=1}^3 M_{ij} \Delta x^i \Delta x^j[/itex]; because none of these entries are multiplied by time, the delta r term is absent from this part.

Please tell me if there is an error in my work.

Anyways, I can see that this matrix is broken up in the very same way as the stress-energy tensor (see image at the top of the Wikipedia page). I know virtually nothing about the stress-energy tensor, though! To learn about it was one of the main motivations for me to read this book. Is there a relationship between the stress-energy tensor and the interval? Or are all second-order matrices broken up in this way?

Thanks,
HeavyMetal

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure why my matrices weren't showing up properly in the above post.To reiterate, my answer described the matrix below:
\begin{pmatrix}
t^2 & tx & ty & tz\\
xt & x^2 & xy & xz\\
yt & yx & y^2 & yz\\
zt & zx & zy & z^2
\end{pmatrix}I explained it in three terms, each explaining separate parts of the matrix.Entry 00: \begin{pmatrix}
t^2
\end{pmatrix} which is represented by [itex]M_{00} (\Delta r)^2[/itex]; because there are two time entries, we observe two delta r terms.Entries 01, 02 and 03: \begin{pmatrix}
tx & ty & tz\\
\end{pmatrix}and entries 10, 20 and 30: \begin{pmatrix}
xt\\
yt\\
zt\\
\end{pmatrix}are the transpose of each other, and equivalent due to the fact that [itex]M_{\alpha \beta} = M_{\beta \alpha}[/itex], and so they were just repeated with a two multiplying out front of that entire term. This was represented by [itex]2(\sum_{i=1}^3 M_{0i} \Delta x^i) \Delta r[/itex]; because these terms can be factored into t(xyz), there is a delta r for each.The remaining entries: \begin{pmatrix}
x^2 & xy & xz\\
yx & y^2 & yz\\
zx & zy & z^2
\end{pmatrix} are represented by [itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 \sum_{j=1}^3 M_{ij} \Delta x^i \Delta x^j[/itex]; because none of these entries are multiplied by time, the delta r term is absent from this part.I hope no confusion was caused by my formatting issues.

I would also like to repeat that this thread is NOT about the interval, but rather the apparent similarity between this representation and the organization of the stress-energy tensor. The Wikipedia article states:

If Cartesian coordinates in SI units are used, then the components of the position four-vector are given by: x0 = t, x1 = x, x2 = y, and x3 = z, where t is time in seconds, and x, y, and z are distances in meters.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, or just a result of the [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] nature of this matrix, along with the fact that they are both displayed in spacetime coordinates.

If I understand your question correctly, the formula is general in the sense that it results from the 1+3 block decomposition of any 4x4 symmetric matrix, and as such applies to any quadratic form in 4D (and generalizes to any dimension). The stress-energy tensor being rank-4 symmetric in GR, it applies there too (but not in theories where that tensor isn't symmetric). There may be a deeper connection but I don't know about that.

Likes HeavyMetal
wabbit said:
If I understand your question correctly, the formula is general in the sense that it results from the 1+3 block decomposition of any 4x4 symmetric matrix, and as such applies to any quadratic form in 4D (and generalizes to any dimension). The stress-energy tensor being rank-4 symmetric in GR, it applies there too (but not in theories where that tensor isn't symmetric). There may be a deeper connection but I don't know about that.

Oh yeah, you understood my question quite perfectly! I'm currently studying linear algebra from the Wikibook articles, and I haven't learned about block decomposition yet. I've been using it recently to answer physics questions, but I guess I just didn't know what the name for it was :rolleyes:.

1. What is the Stress-Energy Tensor?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical concept used in Einstein's theory of General Relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space. It is a tensor, which means it is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the relationship between the Stress-Energy Tensor and the Interval?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is related to the Interval (also known as the Space-Time Interval) through the Einstein field equations. These equations describe how matter and energy in a given space-time curvature affect the curvature itself. The Interval is a measure of the distance between two events in space-time, and the Stress-Energy Tensor describes the distribution of energy and momentum at a particular point in space-time.

3. Why is the Stress-Energy Tensor important in physics?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is important because it allows us to understand how matter and energy are distributed in space and how they affect the curvature of space-time. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of massive objects and the effects of gravity. It is also used in the study of cosmology and the structure of the universe.

4. Can the Stress-Energy Tensor be measured or observed?

No, the Stress-Energy Tensor cannot be directly measured or observed. It is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space. However, its effects can be observed and measured through the curvature of space-time and the behavior of massive objects.

5. How is the Stress-Energy Tensor calculated?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which are a set of nonlinear partial differential equations. These equations take into account the distribution of matter and energy in a given space-time and describe how they affect the curvature of space-time. Solving these equations allows us to calculate the Stress-Energy Tensor at a particular point in space-time.